armadillos!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• armadillos!

Has anyone seen any armadillos in Nebraska? Around 10 years ago we were traveling to Kansas for Thanksgiving and there was one dead on the highway about 3 miles south of Holdrege. This spring a friend of mine found one 7 miles south of Columbus and showed me video to prove it. On Friday there was one dead at the Hwy 22/ Hwy 81 junction west of Columbus. I saw it twice. I would have taken a picture but it would be really dangerous to stop there. I remember when Paul Harvey was alive he made a comment about them moving into Kansas and Nebraska.

Have just heard of one in a yard south of Sterling and one on the interstate near Grand Island.

Comment

Seems like they are popping up every year. Friend sent me pics of one found by Pawnee City early this year, I think I posted the pic on here, another took pics of one in Tecumseh a year or two prior. Saw the one you mentioned by Sterling on Facebook. Join the group 'Nebraska Through The Lens' on Facebook, if you haven't already. Then search armadillo in the group. Few pics of some there, and fun comments to read after you scan through all the armadillo 'experts'. Bet you'd find some on the forum if you search it.

You really don't have to go very far south to start seeing them all over the road. Coming up though Missouri this summer they were laying all over the place. Just a few/couple hours from NE. Doesn't seem too weird too me they make it up here, I doubt they know to stop at state lines. Still would be cool to come across one in person, in Nebraska. I was in awe first time I saw a porcupine out west, not something I get to see often.
      Follow NEFGA on Facebook!! www.facebook.com/nefga.org

Comment

I grew up in NW Franklin County down on the Kansas state line. I was not unheard of to see them dead on the road down there when I was in high school... and I graduated in 02. I wouldn't have called them common, but you saw it from time to time.

Comment

I had seen one dead on I-80 out by Sidney a few years ago. Couldn't believe it.

Comment

I saw a road kill armadillo near David City maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I thought it was when I saw it but wasnt sure as I drove by. Turned around and went back to see for sure. It was definitely an armadillo.
            GoodApp

Comment

Originally posted by Mntn Man View Post
              Have just heard of one in a yard south of Sterling and one on the interstate near Grand Island.
              Yep, saw the one just east of GI around the Aurora Exit on the side of the interstate less than a month ago. The in-laws over in Otoe County, NE have damage in their garden every year and even catch a glimpse of them/it from time to time.

Comment

Working...
              X