This Is A Sticky Thread
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GeoCaching Discussion and Photos

I have traveled all across Nebraska in my life (made it to all 93 counties more than twice!), and somewhat recently have found a fun outdoor activity called Geocaching. You simply look up Geocache locations and go look for them! It is a great way to spend a lot of time outdoors with friends and family and it is free!

This sticky is for anyone that wants to discuss Geocache locations across Nebraska. Share tips on locations, the items you saw in the container, removed, or replaced items with, and most importantly to share some photos of the trip you took looking for the Geocache.

Here are some pictures I took of places or things while on the way to a Geocache. We didn't find all of them due to daylight a couple times, but without it we may not have seen the things we saw. All of these pictures had a Geocache very nearby (hints maybe ):

On Scottsbluff

Alliance

Smith Falls

The hardest one for us to find, it was at the Seward Rest Area along the Big Blue River.

Table Rock (where I grew up) Indian Caves - 4 Geocaches here
    Last edited by Flash04jv; 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM.

My aughter and I plan on going out geochaching around the Kearney area if anyone is interested in going along we'd be happy to have the company. Drop me a PM if you are interested in going

Comment

Went out to Chalco Hills for some fishing and a bike ride around Wehrspann this afternoon. We stopped and tried to find a GeoCache but could not find it, my phone's GPS wasn't working right either, so we were having a hard time getting the correct location. If anyone is able to find the GeoCache called: Chalco Pot O' Gold, and wants to share some hints or PM me that would be awesome. Here is the link to that Geocache location: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...3-350db47b298b

Here are some turkey's we saw while biking:

Comment

Went out and did a little Geocaching today. Found 3 out of four that we were looking for at Cottonmill Park in Kearney. If Anyone is interested in learning or just wants to get out of the house, shoot me a message here or in a PM and we can hook up.

Comment

Got a chance to get out today

Went out geocaching on 10/06/2012 solo this time as my wife was working and our daughter was out of town. Found 12 total, a couple of them had been destroyed by who knows what. Had a great time, who knows how long we will be able to go hunting with fair weater.

This one was found on our second round.
          [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty easy find [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Nice job finding those! You must have a better GPS than the app I have on my phone. :eusa_eh:

Comment

I started out with a gps app on my phone but it killed my battery after about 4 hours of constant use....who wants to geocache for ONLY four hours?! I bought a gps on here in the market place really cheap and now my battery life is about 12 hours on one set of double A's.
              We are really getting addicted to geocaching the last 3 weeks, havent been to bed before 1am in who knows how long lol

Comment

It's a very awesome idea, I know we don't have time but I'd love to try it at least once! nice job with sharing it with the family, too guys.
                "Releasing a big fish always puts a smile on my face" Jim Buckley
                The greatest catch of my life, June 1, 2013

Comment

So what are you folks finding? What are the common gifts?
                  Keeper of the Blue Bucket

Comment

It's mostly weird stuff: Keychains, pens, wooden nickel, coins, plastic toys, small items. I left a pen stylus in one and a fish lure in another, never took anything out.

Comment

Made it out 10/12/12

Made it out today with very good success

Comment

I was in Kauai, HI last week for vacation, after a couple miles of hiking I stopped for a break and wouldn't you know it, saw a Tupperware container under a tree root. I instantly knew what it was, unfortunately I didn't have a single thing in my bag to put in there. Pretty cool to find one randomly like that and to see all the items and names on the paper.

Hopefully I can find some more this summer while I'm out fishing. I'm going to start writing my NEFGA handle on the paper.

Comment

I was surprised to see how many caches there were in the Cherry County/Merritt reservoir area. I'm just learning more about the activity but It looks like great outdoorsy fun for the whole family.

Comment

Where do you guys load your caches from? A website? I got a new Garmin GPS for Christmas. I downloaded a couple from opencaching.com. My wife and I went out a couple times around the Omaha area but could never find the caches. That was this winter when we only had a few minutes of daylight after work and didnt know what we were doing. I think I would really enjoy it, and my 2 1/2-year old would too.

Comment

www.geocaching.com is the way to go. My kids are older now, and we haven't cached for a few years, but that is the go-to site.
                              -----------------------------------------
                              -My computer, my time, my opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X