Policy on dead wood harvesting for personal firewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Policy on dead wood harvesting for personal firewood

Are there national, state, and/or local policies regarding harvesting dead wood, or cutting down dead trees for personal firewood?

With the Emerald ash borer, and a few others that escape my mind, I would not remove any dead timber from the area. The fear is that you transport the invasive bugs in the dead wood to an area not already affected. The policy is buy/cut local burn local. If it were me, I would try to harvest a healthy tree. I know people that sometimes stop at land being clear for new construction and get permission to come back after hours to cut and take some of the trees removed.

Comment

Originally posted by ebonkim View Post
      Are there national, state, and/or local policies regarding harvesting dead wood, or cutting down dead trees for personal firewood?
      Where are you harvesting? Who owns the property?

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      [email protected]
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post

Where are you harvesting? Who owns the property?

Daryl B.
        Harvesting on Public land. National, State, or local. There's probably different regulations on which type of public land one is on. When camping, it seems okay to use any dead trees, branches, and twigs around the campsite to use for a camp fire, unless the camp states otherwise (which they'll typically sell firewood at the entrance). What I'm wondering, is if it's okay to collect in the same way to use for fires at home, or if one needs a permit or something for that specificity.

Columbus has a transfer station, and I could probably just go there to collect the wood I need. I just wanted to know if I happen across a dead fallen tree on public land, if it's okay to harvest?

Comment

• Harold
          Harold commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple- CALL "THEM" AND ASK!

You are going to find regulations prohibiting the cutting of firewood on pretty much all public areas regardless of the agency controlling the area.

Daryl B.
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        [email protected]
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Working...
        X