Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do...Where to go...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by GBR View Post
    I camped at one of the primitive sites at Ogalalla a couple years back, it was a cool place. There were quite a few spots, but I doubt you are able to reserve a spot in that area.

    Sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun!
    Have never been to Ogalalla. Where abouts are these primitive spots and are they on/near the water? Thanks

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by scotcl View Post

      Have never been to Ogalalla. Where abouts are these primitive spots and are they on/near the water? Thanks
      I've only been there once, so I'm no expert. The ones we stayed at are on the west side of the lake really close to the dam. Most of them are right on the water. There are other campsites on the east side of the lake, but I assume those are probably the RV sites.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by GBR View Post

        I've only been there once, so I'm no expert. The ones we stayed at are on the west side of the lake really close to the dam. Most of them are right on the water. There are other campsites on the east side of the lake, but I assume those are probably the RV sites.
        That is correct. Most of the west side of Lake Ogallala SRA is open to primitive camping--$10 a night for a tent or camper with no hookups or pads. The east side is the full service campground.

        Lake Ogallala is great for kayaking. It is mostly sheltered from any west our south winds you frequently find on the high plains :D and it is a 5MPH lake, so the motorboat conflicts are fewer.

        A word of warning... From mid-July to September, when CNPPID releases water they often use the aerator on the hydro plant to benefit the trout population, but it also releases a nice sulphur smell from the bottom of the big lake which could not be fun if you are camped close or the breeze doesn't cooperate.
        -----------------------------------------
        -My computer, my time, my opinions

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks Scott...it would be the first week of June. So, sulphur shouldn't be an issue. Are those primitive sights able to be reserved? Our plan is to head that way for the Afternoon/early evening of Memorial Day. My hopes are, that if they cannot be reserved, that most people would have broken camp Monday before we pull in as they'll be heading back to work the next day.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by scotcl View Post
            Thanks Scott...it would be the first week of June. So, sulphur shouldn't be an issue. Are those primitive sights able to be reserved? Our plan is to head that way for the Afternoon/early evening of Memorial Day. My hopes are, that if they cannot be reserved, that most people would have broken camp Monday before we pull in as they'll be heading back to work the next day.
            Primitive sites are all first-come, first-served. But, you have a good plan. The majority of the 50,000 visitors on Memorial Day will head out Monday morning. It is a steady stream of traffic heading for I80/76. :D
            -----------------------------------------
            -My computer, my time, my opinions

            Comment

            Working...
            X