Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do they calculate the %-lean hamburger meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: How do they calculate the %-lean hamburger meat?

So this applies to things like venison, beef, etc...

When you go to the grocery store (for example) and the package says "90% lean ground beef," what do they mean by that?

Do they mean that for every 9 pounds of lean meat, they throw in a pound of fat?

Or does it mean that the meat they throw straight into the grinder has a content of 10% fat and somehow they know this?

A quick google search shows that there are a number of machines and chemical analysis processes that determine the ratio. So I assume that is what meat packers/butchers use.

Comment

Your example above is pretty much right on. 90% is 9 lbs meat per 1 pound fat. Mix together and ran through the grinder.
      Any color will work, as long as it is green pumpkin. - Roland Martin.

Comment

There are actually several ways to determine fat content in raw ground products. The oldest method is using a sausage square which tells you if you have X amount of lean trimmings at X lean point then you need X amount of fat trimmings at X lean point to achieve the target. Keep in mind in beef trim production that there has to be at least 12% visible lean for the component to be classified as beef trimmings. There is a chemical test that is ran in a lab called either extract where an either based chemical is used to extract the fat from the finished product and then through a weight calculation the fat lean ratio is determined. There is also a machine called a food scan that uses infrared and x-ray to measure fat content in finished ground beef production. And lastly there is some relatively new technology out there called a meat master that continually analyzes fat content in product that is conveyed through an x-ray tunnel and gets the average lean value of a determined batch size.
        SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Comment

The easiest thing to do is grind pure meat...venison, elk, goose, whatever, and then do just what you said...for a 90/10 mix, grind in a pound of fat for every 9 lbs. of meat. Just make sure you mix it well. Otherwise you might have one package of 50/50, and one of 95/5.

when mixed properly though, I have found this to be the easiest way.

Also, get a good scale before you do it, and either weigh the meat in a meat tray, or put plastic wrap on the scale first....it helps keep things clean.

Comment

Originally posted by huntrfish View Post
            The easiest thing to do is grind pure meat...venison, elk, goose, whatever, and then do just what you said...for a 90/10 mix, grind in a pound of fat for every 9 lbs. of meat. Just make sure you mix it well. Otherwise you might have one package of 50/50, and one of 95/5.

when mixed properly though, I have found this to be the easiest way.

Also, get a good scale before you do it, and either weigh the meat in a meat tray, or put plastic wrap on the scale first....it helps keep things clean.
            So the consensus seems to be that this is how you do wild game. I agree and it seems to make sense. This is how I always thought it was done.

I'm curious now: Is it done this way with beef in the grocery store? (Previous responses indicate otherwise...)

Comment

Working...
            X