Y-Bone removal on Northern Pike cleaning made easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y-Bone removal on Northern Pike cleaning made easy

A friend of mine does a great job getting the Y-bones out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJG4D-wTgQ

I wish it was as easy as that guy makes it out to be. I have seen this "zipper" trick a hundred times, but still have not done it correctly once. Here's a question for the pike/muskie guys, can you just score the y-bones and fry them out just like you would a carp?

Comment

I've never tried to eat a muskie, but scoring the filets would probably work with smaller pike! Best bet would be to just keep practicing on removing the Y bones. It really is not that difficult once it "clicks".

Comment

Great Job! I have done this for years with the only difference being I remove the skin before removing the Y-bones. I plan on trying it with the skin on the next chance I get. One other thing I have done is if you are not going to freeze the fillet right away, refrigerating it first and then removing them seems to firm the fillet up and make it a little easier also. Once again, "Great Job!"

Comment

I eat northerns and just remove the 'y' bones as I go, however my next catch I will have to try this new view on this old method for removing the 'y' bones. Havn't "seen" or read it as clearly in the past good video angle? thanks for the view. I'm also sure I'll keep/cook those strips just for me cause I can't throw that much meat away. Just sayin.

Charlie
          If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. quote. 'Yogi Berra'

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. 'Winston Churchill'

Comment

Print this off and take it to the fish camp to help jog your memory from what you saw on the video. http://www.boois.com/y-bones.htm

Comment

Thanks QuackerTracker, goog reminder.

Comment

Working...
              X