Using High Temperature Cheese in Summer Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Using High Temperature Cheese in Summer Sausage

I am looking to try making some of my summer sausage this year using high-temperature cheese. From what I have read online, most mixes are calling for 1 lb of cheese to 10 lbs of meat. My question to the group, does that sound like the correct ratio of meat/cheese? Also, do you have a favorite vendor of where you get your cheese to mix in? I was thinking of going with cheddar or pepper jack.

That's the ratio that I use for mine. Last couple of times, I've bought from Walton's. Prior to that, I bought it from Hobart in Omaha since it's close to home. I like the pepperjack in my snack sticks, but have always used cheddar in my Summer Sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by scotcl View Post
    That's the ratio that I use for mine. Last couple of times, I've bought from Walton's. Prior to that, I bought it from Hobart in Omaha since it's close to home. I like the pepperjack in my snack sticks, but have always used cheddar in my Summer Sausage.
    I buy some stuff from Walton's as it usually gets here fast from Wichita and their prices are pretty fair too. I don't think we are going to try it in sticks this year, starting just with summer sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post
      I am looking to try making some of my summer sausage this year using high-temperature cheese. From what I have read online, most mixes are calling for 1 lb of cheese to 10 lbs of meat. My question to the group, does that sound like the correct ratio of meat/cheese? Also, do you have a favorite vendor of where you get your cheese to mix in? I was thinking of going with cheddar or pepper jack.
      I have done this for the past few years while making summer sausage. One thing I have learned is that if you are doing 70:30 (deer:pork) and the seasoning does 10#, you will want to do 6.5# to 2.5# + 1# HT cheese. It took me a few batches to figure out why I was always coming up long by about a pound. Also, I've tried a couple batches with more than about 2# HT Cheese and it was waaayyyy too much. I use the LEM brand and have always had good luck with it.
      A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

Comment

Originally posted by fishman34 View Post

I have done this for the past few years while making summer sausage. One thing I have learned is that if you are doing 70:30 (deer:pork) and the seasoning does 10#, you will want to do 6.5# to 2.5# + 1# HT cheese. It took me a few batches to figure out why I was always coming up long by about a pound. Also, I've tried a couple batches with more than about 2# HT Cheese and it was waaayyyy too much. I use the LEM brand and have always had good luck with it.
        My seasoning comes in 25 lb batches, so I would plan on adding 2.5 lbs of cheese to a batch to end up with 27.5 lbs in the final mixed product. I plan on 2 batches, so I’d have 50 lbs of mixed summer sausage meat with an additional 5 lbs of cheese in it for a final weight of 55 lbs of mix to stuff into 2.5” x 20” casings and would smoke with the rest of my summer sausage I make (we usually make 150-175 lbs of summer sausage a season). Does anything look out of line here?

With the cheese in it, does it change smoking/cooking time?

Comment

So back off on the meat, you want to end up with 50# of mixed product total (so that would be 45# Meat + 5# cheese). Smoking time doesn't usually increase. I usually smoke mine for 4-5hrs until it gets to 165° Internal temp.
          A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

Comment

Agree with fishman34...I back off the meat to have exactly the pounds I want/need. I haven't seen any difference in smoking times, unless it's weather related. I'm using a Masterbuilt tin can. Not the bunker that I believe was you that showed sometime back 10_Point.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback and advice. I think this puts me in the spot I wanted prior to making summer w/ cheese in it. I plan on doing 150 lbs this year and wanted 1/3 of it to be w/ cheese and wanted to make sure it could all still be done in a single sessions with all the meat (with and without cheese) all being done at the same time.

Yes, we do have quite the "bunker" for a smoker. We have done 200 lbs at once in it. It has been a good design for us and consistent from year to year. We know how long it will take to do summer and also sticks (don't do them together) and the only thing that really impacts it is how windy it gets.

Comment

• Luv2Decoy
                Luv2Decoy commented
                Editing a comment
                Darn! Now I am hungry Looks good!

If you have a Fareway nearby check out the butcher counter. I get mine at the 90th & Maple location.
              In Service to Him.:2thumbsup:

Comment

I bought mine from Walton’s out of Wichita. 5 lb of cheddar was $46 shipped

Comment

For anyone else shopping, you may check with your local butcher shop. Mine sells it to me a $10 pound and has it readily available anytime. I do much smaller batches so it's nice to just be able to buy a pound here and there as I get time to process. It's actually really good in a burger mix- patty into sliders and place in the smoker. Serve on Hawaiian rolls- yummy.

Comment

Working...
                  X