Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody here make summer sausage without cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody here make summer sausage without cure?

We recently made various forms of sausage and my wife was asking if I could make the summer without cure. I did some googling but would like to talk to someone with first hand experience. Any taste difference, or any differences in general.

We made 75 pounds brats, 25 pound hmong coarse ground sausage(a butcher party family's secret recipe, and 175 pounds summer. All turned out great but if possible I wouldn't mind cutting out the nitrates and nitrites.

Cutting out the cure would change the texture, appearance, and taste. The biggest problem would be the risk of botulism during the smoking and blooming process. You would need to hot smoke the sausage to get it above 140 degrees before the 4 hour mark to avoid that, then refrigerate or freeze it. It could be done, but the end product would have some big differences. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Thanks huntingeveryday. That is the info I am finding on all the smoking forums. I called my hometown butcher to ask this question to the day I posted it here but he is out of town until Monday. I thought maybe somebody on here might have the first hand knowledge I was looking for. I am still going to talk to the butcher and see what he says but I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Comment

My mother would make summer sausage with out the curing salt by tightly wrapping it in aluminum foil and cooking in the oven in a water bath. It always turned out pretty good.

Comment

I agree with Madtom2 that it can be done. I used to have a recipe to do it, but I think you could google it to find it. If I remember right, it was pretty simple to do. Just make sure the internal temp gets up to what it needs to

Comment

Working...
          X