Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wipers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question: Wipers

    Anybody ever keep and eat wipers? Don’t care one way or the other. Got into some nice ones and was wondering how they are to eat.
    Keep it safe! JDL

    #2
    Cut the red meat off them fill your sink with water soak the fish for about a hour then squeeze the hell out of them under the water to get as much oil out of them as you can it will turn your water a milky pink but the fish will taste pretty good!

    Comment


      #3
      Cut ALL the read meat out, eat them fresh, never frozen. Soak in 7up overnight.

      It is great meat, and the firmness of the meat allows them to be cooked many ways. I don't keep them very often, but my favorite is to sear the filets in palm sized chunks, using olive oil, garlic, pepper, lemon pepper, etc...Only cook about a minute each side, then finish them to temp in the oven. 10 minutes at 350 is usually plenty.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks I got into some this week. Normally only keep a few gills once in awhile, didn’t know if they are good eating or not. Sounds like it is something I might not want to deal with.
        Keep it safe! JDL

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
          Thanks I got into some this week. Normally only keep a few gills once in awhile, didn’t know if they are good eating or not. Sounds like it is something I might not want to deal with.
          Keep it safe! JDL
          Jay, they are no more trouble than a white bass, really. Cut off the belly meat and season... dredge in coating and fry. Just as good as a walleye IMO.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks I will give it a try!

            Comment


              #7
              Honestly? Catch and release. Tons of fun to catch, but not quality table fare. 😐

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Rusty Bucket View Post
                Honestly? Catch and release. Tons of fun to catch, but not quality table fare. 😐
                Have to admit this thread lasted longer than I thought before someone crapped in it. You did notice this was in the "recipes" forum didn't you?

                JDL - nice fish! Hope they turned out for you.
                Did I say that outloud??

                Kill'em & Grill'em!!!!!!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by brian40 View Post

                  Have to admit this thread lasted longer than I thought before someone crapped in it. You did notice this was in the "recipes" forum didn't you?

                  JDL - nice fish! Hope they turned out for you.
                  No, this thread didn't get "crapped in", but maybe someone should have shared some differing opinions?

                  Like maybe white bass are much more abundant and would be just as good or better on the table?

                  Like every wiper swimming had to be produced in a hatchery and stocked, and every one of those fish given a chance could grow into a hook-straightening monster?

                  Like that value of a wiper still swimming is much more than one on the table?

                  Believe me, we have curtailed wiper stocking on some waters because a bunch of anglers would not do anything more than filet 'em. If that is what they want, white bass can supply that opportunity a lot easier and a lot cheaper.

                  Now, before someone whines about the discouraging remarks. . . you catch the fish legally, it is your decision what to do with them. Just know that there are different outcomes for different decisions. All some of us are trying to do is get folks to stop and think about that.

                  My $0.02-worth, nothing more,

                  Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                  Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                  [email protected]
                  http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    They aren't bad to eat but they are way better to fight again and again. I have kept a few through the years for one reason or another but since I have discovered top water fishing for them I have been a catch and release guy since. Last summer was some of the most fun I have ever had fishing- just wish we had more of them around.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by whitetips View Post

                      No, this thread didn't get "crapped in", but maybe someone should have shared some differing opinions?

                      Like maybe white bass are much more abundant and would be just as good or better on the table?

                      Like every wiper swimming had to be produced in a hatchery and stocked, and every one of those fish given a chance could grow into a hook-straightening monster?

                      Like that value of a wiper still swimming is much more than one on the table?

                      Believe me, we have curtailed wiper stocking on some waters because a bunch of anglers would not do anything more than filet 'em. If that is what they want, white bass can supply that opportunity a lot easier and a lot cheaper.

                      Now, before someone whines about the discouraging remarks. . . you catch the fish legally, it is your decision what to do with them. Just know that there are different outcomes for different decisions. All some of us are trying to do is get folks to stop and think about that.

                      My $0.02-worth, nothing more,

                      Daryl B.
                      We have heard your "whining" over and over through the years and I've gotten good at ignoring it. Just pointing out that it is humorous that the catch and release "whining" has made it to the recipe forum.

                      Stop and think about that.......
                      Did I say that outloud??

                      Kill'em & Grill'em!!!!!!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Why I don’t show pictures. Not from Nebraska waters. Large one didn’t revive when I tried to release. Rather than let it float down the bank I kept it.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Friendly reminders... and not necessarily commentary related to specific responses on this thread...

                          1. Negative commentary for keeping legal catches is not allowed.
                          2. Try not to be so easily offended.
                          3. This is the RECIPE forum.
                          4. See #2 above.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X