Venison Ground Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Venison Ground Meat

This is the first time I have processed a deer start to finish. First off, much easier than expected. I printed a pictorial that walked me through things and I think it worked pretty well.

We ended up grinding up about 12 pounds of meat.

I did a lot of reading online and came up nowhere...lots of varying opinions on what to add to the venison, how much, and what spices to use.

I want to use the ground venison for two things, burger and breakfast sausage. I have yet to add anything to the ground meat, anyone have a simple breakfast sausage recipe to share? Do I need to add anything to the meat for burgers?
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

I don't have any help on the breakfast sausage.

The hamburger, I simply add 15-20% beef fat trimmings to my grind and mix it. Many grocery stores in smaller towns will give it to you...others around Omaha will charge ya as much as $1.99/lb for it. Adds fat/moisture, but more importantly, it helps to hold it together better when making hamburgers for the grill. Some guys add pork fat or at least pork butt to the grind. I was told pork fat can go rancid in the freezer after a year. Not usually a problem for me to have deer burger for more than a year, but never want to take that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by scotcl View Post
      I don't have any help on the breakfast sausage.

The hamburger, I simply add 15-20% beef fat trimmings to my grind and mix it. Many grocery stores in smaller towns will give it to you...others around Omaha will charge ya as much as $1.99/lb for it. Adds fat/moisture, but more importantly, it helps to hold it together better when making hamburgers for the grill. Some guys add pork fat or at least pork butt to the grind. I was told pork fat can go rancid in the freezer after a year. Not usually a problem for me to have deer burger for more than a year, but never want to take that chance.
      When mixing in the fat, do you use a mixer or simply throw the pieces in together in the grinder?
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

• scotcl
        scotcl commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends....LOL

I've received tallow already ground before by the grocery store and I simply mixed it in with my 1st grind deer in a big meat bucket. Then, I sent it through the grinder again. However, if my beef trimmings are just large chunks, I'll throw it through the grinder the same time I grind my deer the first time. Just run a few pieces of deer through and then a piece of beef trim...and repeat. After it's ground, I'll hand mix it again and run it through the grinder a 2nd time. My preference is to do a course grind both times. I like the texture more that way with my hamburger. All your preference in the end.

For burger, 30% beef trim. For Sausage, a pork butt would be sufficient. The more pork butt, the better the breakfast sausage will turn out. I would recommend a coarse grind first. Mix deer and fat, then a fine grind will help bind deer and fat.
      Vegetarian: old Indian word for bad hunter

Comment

Originally posted by shootem'up View Post
        For burger, 30% beef trim. For Sausage, a pork butt would be sufficient. The more pork butt, the better the breakfast sausage will turn out. I would recommend a coarse grind first. Mix deer and fat, then a fine grind will help bind deer and fat.
        This is just my opinion....everyone has to find their desired %. 30% Beef Trim was too much fat in the skillet to my liking whenever I browned hamburger. However, the Beef Trim was primarily fat/tallow with a little bit of Beef still attached. I've had some Beef Trim over the years that you could have cubed out some stew meat or even a small sirloin steak they had so much meat on it. In those situations, I could see a 30% rate.

Comment

Originally posted by scotcl View Post

This is just my opinion....everyone has to find their desired %. 30% Beef Trim was too much fat in the skillet to my liking whenever I browned hamburger. However, the Beef Trim was primarily fat/tallow with a little bit of Beef still attached. I've had some Beef Trim over the years that you could have cubed out some stew meat or even a small sirloin steak they had so much meat on it. In those situations, I could see a 30% rate.
          I agree 100% that tallow would be way too much fat at 30%. Beef trim has a lot more meat still intact.
          Vegetarian: old Indian word for bad hunter

Comment

Breakfast sausage I mix pork butt. All depending on how fatty you want it. For burger I mix 1lb bacon to 3 lbs deer. It covers a lot of the deer taste, only way my wife will eat it.

Comment

I don't make any burger, but I do make breakfast sausage. I use a 50/50 mix of deer to pork when doing breakfast sausage. Even that is on the edge of being too lean, but it does the job. I usually grind up pork butt or picnics (prefer the pork butt as they are easier to work with). I will put each through 2 grinds (coarse and fine) and then add some water to my seasoning and mix it. Once it gets sticky, you know you have mixed it long enough. I put it into 1 lb packages using a stuffer.

Comment

Here's one opinion for burgers... https://honest-food.net/venison-burgers-recipe/
                He also has a bunch of stuffed sausage recipes if you want to jump into that.

For breakfast sausage, I'd agree with 50/50 deer and pork butt/shoulder (pork meat and fat), but if you have straight pork FAT laying around, it'd probably be best to be 80/20 deer/pork fat

"The more pork butt, the better the breakfast sausage will turn out." -- well, then why even bother using deer?

Comment

We coarse grind 1 time with nothing added, vacuum seal in 1 and 2 lb. bags. Then just add it to chili, spaghetti, runzas, goulash, etc., etc.

Comment

I use 80-20 hamburger when it goes on sale for $2/# and mix 50/50, makes a nice lean burger

Comment

The group I do processing with, using straight deer, we coarse grind 1/4"once and then 1/8" grind once and bag, then season when we make into burgers or add as others have mentioned to other recipes. We like the lean quality and taste of deer but I also grind cooked bacon with deer, 5 pounds bacon(precook weight) with 15 pounds deer and all that have tried the bacon burgers enjoy them.

Some of the seasonings we put on the burgers are Cookies, Alpine Spice, or other steak seasonings.Sometimes my wife will add Worcestershire sauce to the burgers prior to grilling or frying.

Comment

Working...
                      X