Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison Ground Meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question: Venison Ground Meat

    This is the first time I have processed a deer start to finish. First off, much easier than expected. I printed a pictorial that walked me through things and I think it worked pretty well.

    We ended up grinding up about 12 pounds of meat.

    I did a lot of reading online and came up nowhere...lots of varying opinions on what to add to the venison, how much, and what spices to use.

    I want to use the ground venison for two things, burger and breakfast sausage. I have yet to add anything to the ground meat, anyone have a simple breakfast sausage recipe to share? Do I need to add anything to the meat for burgers?
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

  • #2
    I don't have any help on the breakfast sausage.

    The hamburger, I simply add 15-20% beef fat trimmings to my grind and mix it. Many grocery stores in smaller towns will give it to you...others around Omaha will charge ya as much as $1.99/lb for it. Adds fat/moisture, but more importantly, it helps to hold it together better when making hamburgers for the grill. Some guys add pork fat or at least pork butt to the grind. I was told pork fat can go rancid in the freezer after a year. Not usually a problem for me to have deer burger for more than a year, but never want to take that chance.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by scotcl View Post
      I don't have any help on the breakfast sausage.

      The hamburger, I simply add 15-20% beef fat trimmings to my grind and mix it. Many grocery stores in smaller towns will give it to you...others around Omaha will charge ya as much as $1.99/lb for it. Adds fat/moisture, but more importantly, it helps to hold it together better when making hamburgers for the grill. Some guys add pork fat or at least pork butt to the grind. I was told pork fat can go rancid in the freezer after a year. Not usually a problem for me to have deer burger for more than a year, but never want to take that chance.
      When mixing in the fat, do you use a mixer or simply throw the pieces in together in the grinder?
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

      Comment


      • scotcl
        scotcl commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends....LOL

        I've received tallow already ground before by the grocery store and I simply mixed it in with my 1st grind deer in a big meat bucket. Then, I sent it through the grinder again. However, if my beef trimmings are just large chunks, I'll throw it through the grinder the same time I grind my deer the first time. Just run a few pieces of deer through and then a piece of beef trim...and repeat. After it's ground, I'll hand mix it again and run it through the grinder a 2nd time. My preference is to do a course grind both times. I like the texture more that way with my hamburger. All your preference in the end.

    • #4
      For burger, 30% beef trim. For Sausage, a pork butt would be sufficient. The more pork butt, the better the breakfast sausage will turn out. I would recommend a coarse grind first. Mix deer and fat, then a fine grind will help bind deer and fat.
      Vegetarian: old Indian word for bad hunter

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by shootem'up View Post
        For burger, 30% beef trim. For Sausage, a pork butt would be sufficient. The more pork butt, the better the breakfast sausage will turn out. I would recommend a coarse grind first. Mix deer and fat, then a fine grind will help bind deer and fat.
        This is just my opinion....everyone has to find their desired %. 30% Beef Trim was too much fat in the skillet to my liking whenever I browned hamburger. However, the Beef Trim was primarily fat/tallow with a little bit of Beef still attached. I've had some Beef Trim over the years that you could have cubed out some stew meat or even a small sirloin steak they had so much meat on it. In those situations, I could see a 30% rate.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by scotcl View Post

          This is just my opinion....everyone has to find their desired %. 30% Beef Trim was too much fat in the skillet to my liking whenever I browned hamburger. However, the Beef Trim was primarily fat/tallow with a little bit of Beef still attached. I've had some Beef Trim over the years that you could have cubed out some stew meat or even a small sirloin steak they had so much meat on it. In those situations, I could see a 30% rate.
          I agree 100% that tallow would be way too much fat at 30%. Beef trim has a lot more meat still intact.
          Vegetarian: old Indian word for bad hunter

          Comment


          • #7
            Breakfast sausage I mix pork butt. All depending on how fatty you want it. For burger I mix 1lb bacon to 3 lbs deer. It covers a lot of the deer taste, only way my wife will eat it.

            Comment

            Working...
            X