Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking snack sticks

Snack sticks

how does everyone cook snack sticks smoker or dehyrater and temp and how long

Smoker. Better than the oven because of the smoke. And I can hang them so they cook more even

Comment

Smoker all the way, but it depends on how you want the finished product to be. If you want a drier, smaller snack stick, just cook them longer in the smoker so they get to temp. This will cook some of the excess water out and leave you with more of a "slim Jim" type of product. If you want a plump, "wetter" snack stick, I have smoked them for a while( 2-4 hours), and then finish them in a roaster with a lot of water, (basically steaming them until done.) You still get the smoke flavor, but they aren't dried out. Just depends on how you like them. It also depends on the mix of pork, beef, elk, deer or whatever you are using. some meats are fattier, so they don't dry out as fast. Trial and error has a lot to do with how you like something....but write down what you do and temperatures and times, etc.....that way it is faster to figure out what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceilingman View Post
        Snack sticks

how does everyone cook snack sticks smoker or dehyrater and temp and how long
        I have to ask if you have been given some or are you making them?

Comment

In a typical season, we will do 50-75 lbs of snack sticks. We have a walk-in smoker and cooking time will vary a bit depending if the smoker is hot or if it needs to get up to temperature. In most instances, it will take around 6 hours in the smoker to reach "done" temperatures internally. We usually will let them hang another hour to "finish". This is in a 21mm casing.

Comment

10 point, what seasoning do you use? I am just getting some equipment to make some. I see a few different companies with spices. Any to stay away from??

Comment

You do your own bacon too don't you? Got a few pork bellies itchen to to be turned to bacon but sure on a recipe yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                10 point, what seasoning do you use? I am just getting some equipment to make some. I see a few different companies with spices. Any to stay away from??
                I'm obviously not 10 point, but I get the majority of my mixes from psseasoning.com. They frequently have $5 flat rate shipping and I'll stock up. I've tried a lot of their snack stick mixes, let me know if you want suggestions.

Comment

Please, any suggestions are welcomed. I'm not a person who likes stuff real spicy hot, but a little is ok. Have you mixed in jalapeno's or cheese with the mixes. How have they turned out if you have. Thanks for any info.

Comment

A few mixes I get have dried jalapeño in them and worked great. Jalapeño/mango wasn't bad, little sweet & heat. I use hi temp cheese as well, but don't put it in until I'm ready to stuff the casings. Turns out great, I get mine at hobarts in Omaha.
                    Last edited by Spooled; 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I have used 2 different vendors for snack sticks. LEM has been good for us and we like their varieties. I will say this about LEM, the regular snack stick mix is quite good and not spicy at all. Their HOT mix is not very hot, even with the pepper flakes in the mix. LEM's pepper sticks have a strong black pepper taste, which is good, but they get hot after a few of them. We use 21mm casings. The other vendor I have used is Ultra Source Seasoning out of Kansas City. This is the vendor I buy all my summer sausage seasoning from and I have tried their snack sticks too. Their regular is top notch and I like it better than LEM's. They also have a Tex-Mex snack stick that is spicy, but good. The reason I don't go with them for my sticks, is you have to buy a case of seasonings at a time, which is 5-25lb batches. I only do 50-75 lbs of sticks a year and I don't like to have seasonings sit. If you wanted to split a case of Ultra next hunting season, I'd be glad to do it. I get a case of summer sausage seasoning each season, so I am always going to be placing an order.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooled View Post

I'm obviously not 10 point, but I get the majority of my mixes from psseasoning.com. They frequently have $5 flat rate shipping and I'll stock up. I've tried a lot of their snack stick mixes, let me know if you want suggestions.
                        I bought some of their stuff this year and was happy with some and not too happy with one summer sausage mix. They have such a large variety, I am curious as to what you have liked/disliked from them? I was happy with the Garlic Summer Sausage and the Sheboygen Beer Brats and one of their breakfast sausages. Their #500 Summer was very bland and I did not care for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post

I bought some of their stuff this year and was happy with some and not too happy with one summer sausage mix. They have such a large variety, I am curious as to what you have liked/disliked from them? I was happy with the Garlic Summer Sausage and the Sheboygen Beer Brats and one of their breakfast sausages. Their #500 Summer was very bland and I did not care for it.
                          Snack stick wise the honey bbq is awesome, hot pepper, teriyaki and jalapeño mango (not a lot of heat) are all pretty good Bbq bacon was okay, not a lot of flavor. I had high expectations for the Bloody Mary sticks, not as good as I thought they would be. But great to throw in an actually Bloody Mary. Going to try the chipotle wildfire next. Liked the beer brats too, cajun where also good. I have the philly cheese steak, French onion & sassy honey bbq brat mixes to still make, when I have sometime. I'll let you know how they turn out. Haven't tried any of the summer sausage or Bologna mixes, I get them from Hobarts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooled View Post

Snack stick wise the honey bbq is awesome, hot pepper, teriyaki and jalapeño mango (not a lot of heat) are all pretty good Bbq bacon was okay, not a lot of flavor. I had high expectations for the Bloody Mary sticks, not as good as I thought they would be. But great to throw in an actually Bloody Mary. Going to try the chipotle wildfire next. Liked the beer brats too, cajun where also good. I have the philly cheese steak, French onion & sassy honey bbq brat mixes to still make, when I have sometime. I'll let you know how they turn out. Haven't tried any of the summer sausage or Bologna mixes, I get them from Hobarts.
                            I used Hobart for summer sausage for years. Ever since I tried Ulta Source, it is the best I have ever used. If you are ever in Lincoln, I'd give you some to try.

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post

I used Hobart for summer sausage for years. Ever since I tried Ulta Source, it is the best I have ever used. If you are ever in Lincoln, I'd give you some to try.
                              Sounds good, I'll look you up. Where do you get ultra source? In town or online?

Comment

Working...
                              X