Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good recipe for pickled fish

The last recipe I used I wasn't that crazy about the taste. Any suggestions

I've been wanting to find a sugar free recipe, mine is about 1/3 sugar. I'll post it later for you and see if it's much different than what you've been doing.

Comment

Here's the one I use...

5 lbs of chunked fish
      2 1/2 cups of canning salt
      1 gallon of bottled water
      1 quart distilled vinegar
      5 1/2 cups of sugar
      4 teaspoons pickling spice
      1 cup dry white wine
      1 onion cut into pieces

In a plastic container dissolve the 2.5 cups of salt in the gallon of bottled water & add chunked fish. Refrigerate for 48 to 72 hours. Remove fish & rinse in cold water. Cover fish with white vinegar for 24 hours & frigerate.
      Remove fish from vinigar & pack in jars with pieces of onion. Cover with the following solution.

5 1/2 cups sugar
      4 teaspooons of pickling spice
      1 cup dry white wine

Bring all ingredients to a boil exept the dry wine. When solution has cooled add the dry white wine & cover fish. Seal with lids that have been scalded. let it refrigerate for 3 weeks before eating...

Comment

Write something...

Comment

I think my recipe was about the same except I boiled the last part with the wine, and I should have added the wine later

Comment

Originally posted by Turlington Tom View Post
            I think my recipe was about the same except I boiled the last part with the wine, and I should have added the wine later
            Dang near exact recipe I use, I also do not add the wine separate at the end though. Going to try that next time.

I've added lemons along with the onions too. Anyone put other things in there? like jalepenos, oranges, cherries,...

Comment

Gonna have to make a batch of pickled pike this year. It's been a couple since we made any.

Comment

A few thoughts. It's been a while since I pickled any pike.

The US's guidelines on freezing pike to kill the tapeworms is not as loose as that of the EU's or Russia's. Just an FYI. I think I just split the difference when I didn't have access to a -80 freezer. On a side note, having a professor who never leaves his office go into his lab and finding his dna freezer full of fish is pretty hilarious. "Just share some with me."

I bet some preserved lemons in some pickled fish would be amazing tasty. Just make them yourself. Salt, lemons, and juice. I do a jar every year about now. You can buy them at say whole foods in the deli and probably other places too. Use the skin...not the pulp.

I just use a generic brine recipe for fish like was posted. Then I'll add the spices I personally like. If I was making a jar now I'd throw in bay leaves, juniper berries, lots of whole coriander, some dill, lemon, mustard seeds, some dried hot chills, and lots of onion. I don't like the sweeter spices in my pickled fish.

Comment

grannys pickled fish.txt
                  Freeze fillets to insure all parasites are killed
                  Taste just like pickled herring.
                  Longer it ages, better it tastes.
                  Enjoy!
                  Attached Files
                  Where's that Cave.............?

Fish don't care what name brand gear you have.....:lol:

"Grandma, I catch a mustache fish" :teethgrin:

Wildernesswomen @ Facebook.com

2014 Kayakapoolza II, III, IV, V Angler of the year

Comment

Originally posted by scotcl View Post
                    Here's the one I use...

5 lbs of chunked fish
                    2 1/2 cups of canning salt
                    1 gallon of bottled water
                    5 1/2 cups of sugar
                    4 teaspoons pickling spice
                    1 cup dry white wine
                    1 onion cut into pieces

In a plastic container dissolve the 2.5 cups of salt in the gallon of bottled water & add chunked fish. Refrigerate for 48 to 72 hours. Remove fish & rinse in cold water. Cover fish with white vinegar for 24 hours & frigerate.
                    Remove fish from vinigar & pack in jars with pieces of onion. Cover with the following solution.

5 1/2 cups sugar
                    4 teaspooons of pickling spice
                    1 cup dry white wine

Bring all ingredients to a boil exept the dry wine. When solution has cooled add the dry white wine & cover fish. Seal with lids that have been scalded. let it refrigerate for 3 weeks before eating...
                    Sounds tasty! I think I should try this!

Comment

And I thought I was the only one left that liked pickled Herring/Fish. Got a Recipe to share but I will have to post that later. Thanx

Comment

This one I got out of In-Fisherman mag. Pretty tasty.

Pickled Fish Recipe: In Wine
                        Cut the filleted fish (about 1.5 pounds) into chunks. Make a salt brine by adding 1 cup of salt to a quart of water. Add the fish chunks to the brine in a large glass jar or other glass container, and refrigerate for 48 hours. Drain and add enough white vinegar to cover the fish. Refrigerate for another 48 hours. Drain. In glass jars make a layer of fish followed by a layer of thinly sliced onion, more fish, and so on until each jar is almost full.
                        Make pickling brine by boiling for five minutes: 2 cups of white vinegar, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of white wine, 1/4 piece of sliced lemon squeezed (and add the squeezed portion), and a tablespoon of pickling spices. Let the brine cool and pour enough into each jar to fill it to the top. Refrigerate for 7 days. Yes, it’s a long wait.

Comment

Anyone tried to drop fish into the brine/ juice from leftover store bought pickles?

​​Rounding up stuff tonight to try a few different recipes this week, using this winters Pike. We emptied a Pickle jar last night, and I was curious if that leftover brine was worth trying, or if it is still viable to use anymore.

Comment

Use it for pickling eggs. I get the garlic dills. Long as it has no contamination should work fine.
                            Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I will give it a shot with eggs, and see how it goes. Sounds like using it for fish could be dicey after some google searches. I ended up pickling the Pike with my usual recipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X