smallmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smallmouth

Looking for smallmouth bass to stock. Anyone know where I could get 40-50?

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/Fishin...tee%20List.pdf

If you can't find a Nebraska supplier you could try Hartley Fish Farms out of Kingman, KS. What size of SMB are you looking for?

http://www.hartleyfishfarmsinc.com
    Last edited by Shorty; 01-20-2015, 06:44 AM.
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

Any size

Comment

This time of year I would be looking for at least 5-6" SMB from last years hatch, anything smaller will likely be runts from last year which might limit their long term size potential. If you are stocking them into an existing pond with LMB already present I would be looking for 8-10" SMB, otherwise you are likely stocking an expensive snack for the LMB. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Comment

How well do smallmouth do in a pond that already has an established LMB population? I was looking at stocking some as well but was worried it would be a waste of money.

Comment

SMB will do OK but your LMB will out compete them. I wouldn't expect much recruitment from SMB and their numbers will slowly fade over time. One of the things you can do is to remove some LMB before SMB are added.

Comment

Originally posted by JH View Post
              How well do smallmouth do in a pond that already has an established LMB population? I was looking at stocking some as well but was worried it would be a waste of money.
              What "Shorty" told you is right on. Smallmouth do very well in Nebraska pits and ponds as long as they do not have to compete with largemouth bass. If you already have an established population of largemouth bass, other than stocking some adult smallmouth to give you a chance of catching an incidental smallmouth now and then, you would probably be wasting your time.

Now if you have an opportunity to renovate and start over, or if you have a new pit or pond, and you can keep the largemouths out, well, then you got a whole 'nother ball game.

Daryl B.
              Daryl Bauer
              Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
              Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
              [email protected]
              http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post
                What "Shorty" told you is right on. Smallmouth do very well in Nebraska pits and ponds as long as they do not have to compete with largemouth bass. If you already have an established population of largemouth bass, other than stocking some adult smallmouth to give you a chance of catching an incidental smallmouth now and then, you would probably be wasting your time.

Now if you have an opportunity to renovate and start over, or if you have a new pit or pond, and you can keep the largemouths out, well, then you got a whole 'nother ball game.

Daryl B.
                Stocked perch last year. No largemouth. Can't seem to fond any smallmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by fish2 View Post
                  Stocked perch last year. No largemouth. Can't seem to fond any smallmouth.
                  New pond? If you do not see any of your initial stocking of smallmouth bass, you might need to get some more in there.

Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                  Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                  [email protected]
                  http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Thanks for the info Daryl and Shorty.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post
                      New pond? If you do not see any of your initial stocking of smallmouth bass, you might need to get some more in there.

Daryl B.
                      We have not stocked anything other than perch. I've called several fish dealers. Smallmouth seem to be very hard to come by.

Comment

Fish2, keep calling, you might have to get on a waiting list and take delivery in the fall after this years hatch.

JH, back in 2006 I stocked 50 SMB in my dad's old pond with existing LMB, it can be done. I put the SMB behind a blocking net and grew them out from 6-7" to 8-9" before turning them loose. We also removed a number of LMB to make room for the SMB before letting them go. I fed the SMB lots of night crawlers, minnows, pellets, and small BG that I seined out of the pond for two months.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthread...r=68484&page=1

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthread...r=70287&page=1
                        Last edited by Shorty; 02-03-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

How have they done since 06? I do have a large population of what appear to be stunted bluegills and green sunfish.

Comment

The SMB were doing well in 2008, they were 13-14" when the pond was sold to new owners. Beyond that I can't tell you how they fared over the long term.

Here a picture of my nephew with one of the SMB from March of 2007. :2thumbsup:

Last edited by Shorty; 02-04-2015, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Nice photo. Had you noticed much of a decline in the population in those 2 years?

Comment

Working...
                              X