Newly stocked farm pond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly stocked farm pond

Our recently built farm fishing pond is a little bigger than 1 acre and about 18 feet at the deepest with various depths. About a month ago we stocked it with fathead minnows and bluegills. The water clarity is fairly clear yet givin that the wind isnt really blowing. But since releasing the stock I haven't been able to spot a bluegill or minnow from the shore. I've tried catching some of the gills that are in their (a few hundred were four inches and few hundred fingerlings) by casting off shore with a chunk of worm under a bobber a foot, two feet, three feet, and four feet deep, but no success was had.
    With that said any advice to where the bluegills are or a different approach to catching them is appreciated.

Originally posted by HonestD View Post
    Our recently built farm fishing pond is a little bigger than 1 acre and about 18 feet at the deepest with various depths. About a month ago we stocked it with fathead minnows and bluegills. The water clarity is fairly clear yet givin that the wind isnt really blowing. But since releasing the stock I haven't been able to spot a bluegill or minnow from the shore. I've tried catching some of the gills that are in their (a few hundred were four inches and few hundred fingerlings) by casting off shore with a chunk of worm under a bobber a foot, two feet, three feet, and four feet deep, but no success was had.
    With that said any advice to where the bluegills are or a different approach to catching them is appreciated.
    A chunk of worm for at best, 4-inch bluegills? Those fish you stocked are eating natural prey that are A LOT smaller than that. If you want to catch any of them on hook & line, you are going to have to down-size.

Is there any aquatic vegetation in the pond? Believe me, with good cover like aquatic vegetation, those few hundred bluegills you stocked will disappear. You may not see many of them for a year or two.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

HonestD:

Sensitive floats, light line, and tiny bait (young maggots e.g.) on small hooks.
      If you live in or near Lincoln, I'll give you what may help you catch your tiny fish.
      For example (taken from http://microfishing.com/tackle/):

O ye fountains, bless ye the Lord: bless the Lord, ye seas and floods.
      O ye whales, and all that move in the waters, bless ye the Lord: bless the Lord, all ye fowls of the air
      O all ye beasts and cattle, bless ye the Lord: bless the Lord, ye sons of men.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The pond does not have much vegetation that I can see. Some old woody weeds from last year when it was dry and some green grasses on the bank that started to grow when the pond was lower that are now submerged. I would think some aquatic vegetation would start to grow now. Pond was filled in March.
        side note there are thousands upon thousands of little tadpoles and lots of water bugs visible so I think there's lots of prey for the fish in their.

Comment

Working...
        X