Carp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carp problem

There is a farm pond just 1 mile out of town that used to be great fishing. However, carp have overran the pond and stunted fish growth and depleting fish population. I would love to be able to get rid of these carp but need to contact the owner first. It's no deeper than 6 feet right now so I've thought about possibly seining the pond or draining it completely and rescuing the rest of the species. Any ideas?

Originally posted by conibearguy View Post
    There is a farm pond just 1 mile out of town that used to be great fishing. However, carp have overran the pond and stunted fish growth and depleting fish population. I would love to be able to get rid of these carp but need to contact the owner first. It's no deeper than 6 feet right now so I've thought about possibly seining the pond or draining it completely and rescuing the rest of the species. Any ideas?
    Drain it completely, rotenone renovation, whatever you need to do to eliminate all fish. You can net, shoot, trap, trick, catch, seine, suck, whatever you want and it will not eliminate the carp and if you leave any they will quickly re-populate.

However, before you do that, you need to ask some bigger questions. . . . You say it is no deeper than 6 feet now? If that is all the deeper it is, then the presence of common carp may be the least of your problems. Likely it needs to be deeper to keep desirable species alive and if that is the case draining and excavating, if possible, may be the first step. Eliminating all the fish would be easy while that is being done, and then when it re-fills you can re-stock.

How did the carp get in there? You want to know that before you eliminate carp and risk them re-invading.

Be sure to spend some time checking out these resources, Private Waters Program , Pond Management Guide Series , especially this one, Removing or Controlling Unwanted Fish Species .

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Working...
    X