Trapping Snapping turtles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping Snapping turtles

We have some snapping turtles in a pond and children frequently swim normally I would just shoot them but I never seem to have a gun handy when I see them anyone have any tips of traps for them or any other way to catch them.

Originally posted by zshulk56 View Post
    We have some snapping turtles in a pond and children frequently swim normally I would just shoot them but I never seem to have a gun handy when I see them anyone have any tips of traps for them or any other way to catch them.
    Bait a hook with some dead, stinky cutbait.

They won't bother the kids.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Blood bait works good.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
      NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

You could "man-up" for the kids and give THIS a shot!

"Back in the day" the Polacek Boys from David City had a GREAT recipe for Snappers. If yer gonna kill 'em, you might consider eating them!

Harold F.
        Report Fish/Game Violations:
        1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Thanks for the info and and as for turtleman that joke has already been considered but I plan on trying it some people I know say its good so I figure I will give it a try if I kill it ill try it for the most part.

Comment

Thanks for the info and and as for turtleman that joke has already been considered but I plan on trying it some people I know say its good so I figure I will give it a try if I kill it ill try it for the most part.
            Nebraska's Turtle Man

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            [email protected]
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Im not quite sure I have the kahunas for that.

Comment

Im not quite sure I have the kahunas for that.
                My grandpa talks about how he and his siblings used to turtle hunt by walking barefoot in the marsh. According to him they always found a lot of turtles and no one ever lost a toe. Not my deal, but an interesting story nonetheless.

zschulk - if you do catch them to get them out of the pond please eat them and don't waste them. They're a delicacy in many circles; I imagine you could find someone to give them away to if nothing else. I remember fishing as a kid having many times that snappers would find my stringer of bluegills and start eating on them; so dead fish/cut bait works great.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X