Pond Renovation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swoab47 View Post
    So cool! Thanks for keeping us up to date! What is the biggest redear you have caught so far?
    Right at 11".

Last edited by Shorty; 02-23-2017, 06:26 AM.
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorty View Post

Right at 11".

. Awesome!

Comment

Right at 11".

What chunky fish!

Comment

• Just an update, the number of winter killed RES I have found has been significantly high this year. The good news is that this happened with primarily one year class of RES in the 6" to 8" size range which was a very large year class that I had planned on thinning this year. Large and small RES are noticeably absent from the floaters I have found so far. I'm not exactly sure what happened but the rapid warm up at ice out may have mixed the water column up too rapidly for some RES to adjust.
          Last edited by Shorty; 03-18-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Just an update, the number of winter killed RES I have found has been significantly high this year. The good news is that this happened with primarily one year class of RES in the 6" to 8" size range which was a very large year class that I had planned on thinning this year. Large and small RES are noticeably absent from the floaters I have found so far. I'm not exactly sure what happened but the rapid warm up at ice out may have mixed the water column up too rapidly for some RES to adjust.
            Some of those high winds right after ice out might have done a bit of mixing too.

Sorry to hear, keep us posted!

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• I am hoping that the die off was primarily offspring/genetics from the 30 additional RES I acquired from "the traveling fish truck". I suspect that those may have come from a more southern location than the my initial stocking of 110 RES that I know came from north western KS. In the last 4 weeks I have found 108 floaters in my little 1/4 acre pond, 101 of those were 6 to 8" and from a very large year class of RES, just three in the 9" range, and just three over 10". I have also found roughly three dozen in the 3" size range. I am amazed how at long it has taken for some of these to float, the ones popping up over the last week have been missing skin, eyeballs, and cheeks, they clearly have been sitting on the bottom since ice out that occurred back in February.

The frogs finally came back out of hibernation yesterday, they seem to be fine. I am still catching very gravid Yellow perch too.
              Last edited by Shorty; 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

• 19"+

Comment

Working...
                  X