Pond Renovation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-time SMB.

Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

• Purty

Comment

• My last open water fish of 2016? This smaller one put up a sluggish fight last night, this morning my pond was 99% skimmed over with ice.

Comment

• Sledgehammer it! haha.

Looks like a ton of fun.

Comment

• This entire thread is awesome! I am curious how this winter was on the stock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Knudson55 View Post
              This entire thread is awesome! I am curious how this winter was on the stock?
              Still waiting to see, that rain we had back in December had me a worried about the redears, there was six to seven inches of ice on the pond at the time and the water level came up 15-16", cold water temps are known to be very hard on redears. I have seen a small number of RES and golden shiners morts since ice out but nothing out of the ordinary. At this point I am waiting on the water to warm up a bit more to see if that December rain did any damage or not. The good news is that I have caught some large golden shiners and two yelllow perch in the last couple of days. I'm thinking things are OK but won't have a good idea until later this spring so stayed tuned.

Comment

• One more report, warmer temps are bringing frogs out of hibernation. Yesterday I saw a western chorus frog, a leopard frog, and several young bull frogs along the edge of the pond.

Comment

• A cold snap could be devastating at this point!

Comment

A cold snap could be devastating at this point!
                    A cold snap might add to the stressors of winter but it won't be devastating, the frogs will go back to hibernating and the fish will adjust. I did catch two more yellow perch and a SMB this evening. As far as the RES go they won't eat much until the water warms up into the 50's.

Comment

A cold snap could be devastating at this point!
                      It is February, we will have several cold snaps yet, just like we do every spring.

Daryl B.
                      Daryl Bauer
                      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• Originally posted by whitetips View Post

It is February, we will have several cold snaps yet, just like we do every spring.

Daryl B.
                        I would agree, but with the temps being in the mid 70s during the day and the lows in the 40s, my comment was not just pointed at fish. Plants and grass will take it very hard. My yard is already starting to come out of being dormant.

Comment

I would agree, but with the temps being in the mid 70s during the day and the lows in the 40s, my comment was not just pointed at fish. Plants and grass will take it very hard. My yard is already starting to come out of being dormant.
                          The fish will take it better than the plants and grass.

Photoperiod still says it is the end of February.

Daryl B.
                          Daryl Bauer
                          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

• Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

• So cool! Thanks for keeping us up to date! What is the biggest redear you have caught so far?

Comment

Working...
                                X