Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pond Renovation

Started this week.
    Picture from last summer, I am standing by the cottonwoods on the far side for scale.

Monday night before any work began.

Tree removal began on Tuesday, the large cottonwoods that were sucking it dry had to go.

I will post updates as they progress. The next step after the tree clean ups is done, dig out the silt and reinforce the existing dam. Hopefully we will ready to re-seed the dam in a few weeks. :ayes:
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Trees were sucking it dry? Looks to me like it had filled all the way up with silt.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post
      Trees were sucking it dry? Looks to me like it had filled all the way up with silt.

Daryl B.
      That too! The old pond has been there a while.

Comment

This will be fun to follow. :zclapping:
        NEFGA is endorsed by Pond Boss

Get all your pond questions answered by the experts at Pond Boss!

Comment

I understand why you did it... Just a shame to see those trees go...
          "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over!

Comment

Oh, and have fun... I always like these threads. Maybe I can scrounge up pics from our pond work...
            "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over!

Comment

My dirt work guy and the logger made alot of progress on the tree clean up today. :ayes:

This pile is going to a mill.

Burn pile below the dam.

Pond area to be dug out, my wife is standing on the tree stumps.

Some of the bigger tree stumps.

Comment

Shorty, how many cottonwoods did you have that raised concern that they were sucking the pond dry? I have a single very large cottonwood that I chose to keep because it's probably twice my age and looks nice. Curious if I made the right decision.

Comment

Cottonwoods in general are water thirsty trees, someone once told me they will drink their weight in water every day during the summer months. There were 16-17 large cottonwoods on the edge of my old pond. The pond when renovated should be around 1/4 acre in surface area. Looking at the growth rings on the biggest tree stump it might have been 45-50 years old, but it was hard to get a good count on the outer rings. The inner rings on the large stump were 3/4" apart for the first 20 years so it appears to been well watered. My concern was that if we got into a drought that it would be hard to keep the pond full with that many cottonwoods drinking out of it during the summer. I do plan on planting a few trees around it when we are done, a few apple trees and maybe a few hackberry or oaks.

Comment

A few more pictures of the progress. When full I should have max. depth of 20ft

Comment

EXCELLENT! :zclapping:

Harold F.

Hmmmmm. Just thimkin' out loud... I wonder if a couple "cabins" (sans roof) could be built from the "burn pile", strategically placed on the floor of the pond. Hmmmmmmmm.
                      Report Fish/Game Violations:
                      1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post

Harold F.

Hmmmmm. Just thimkin' out loud... I wonder if a couple "cabins" (sans roof) could be built from the "burn pile", strategically placed on the floor of the pond. Hmmmmmmmm.
                        "Hook collectors"?

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post

Harold F.

My dirt guy is going to bury the tree stumps along the pond edge about 10 ft down on the south side, this should go well with the stump knockers (redear sunfish) I plan on stocking in the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha View Post
                            "Hook collectors"?
                            "Hook Collectors" attract FISH!!!

Harold F.
                            :2thumbsup:
                            Report Fish/Game Violations:
                            1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Shorty, what else are you planning to stock with the red ears? Smallies?
                              When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X