No announcement yet.

Pond Progress (pics added 6/4/13) NEW question post #78

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pictures from 5/27/13 with our extended family. All released to be caught again. The gills were anywhere from 2" - 8 1/2" The green sunfish & hybrid both went right at 10" and the cats ranged from 14" - 22". All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the results thus far in the 3 1/2 years we've had the pond stocked.

A bit more on the pond: We have at least 3 pairs of blue wing teal, one pair of mallards, and at least 5 pair of Canadian geese that have made the pond their home this year. I have seen ruddys, mallards, blue wing teal, green wing teal, wigeon, gadwall, wood ducks, shovelers, Canadian geese, deer, doves, and one moose (yes a moose). Have also had some egrets, cormorants, herons, and other diving ducks that I couldn't ID. The muskrats aren't as plentiful this year as last; the trapping season was a good one for the kids who helped us out.

Water clarity is down this year, as the construction company is finishing up the depth of the pond. In the contract it was agreed that there would be at least 1/2 of the lake that was deeper than 15'. We went out and "shot" the depth of the lake last summer and didn't find any part that was deeper than 10'. So they brought in the pump and the depth change has created a dynamite fishing spot this year.

Vegetation is excellent, the frog population has exploded as the shallows immediately come to life with all the tadpoles. Kinda crazy to see how many frogs there will be this summer/fall. I'm pumped about this pond, was a bit unsure what the pumping would do to the fishing and other than the lessened visibility in the water, things are continuing to progress very nicely! Anyway, on to the pics.

Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Made it out again last night for some fishing with the boys. The pond didn't disappoint with over 30 gills and at least a half dozen catfish. Kate caught a 10 1/4" hybrid being the highlight of the night.

Pics:
      http://www.nefga.org/forum/showthrea...445#post493445
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

The gills & catfish were stocked in October 2010 and nothing to our knowledge since. The gills were 1 1/2" - 2" and the catfish were 10". This spring we've caught gills up to 9", a green sunfish & three hybrids that broke the 10" mark, and catfish up to 22". One cool thing is that the catfish seem to be preying on the bluegill pretty regularly. When we've gone out this year, we'll catch about 10-15 gills before our first catfish. To me that says that the commotion from the gills feeding and splashing around attracts the catfish and the cats put on the feed bag. Last night I caught one catfish with a rather large gut and could feel at least two gills in its stomach.

There is no shortage of gills, so the recruitment has been very good. The vegetation is strong in the shallow water, plenty of bugs and snails present as well. Surface area is about 7-8 acres, most of the pond is 5-7' deep with about 1/3 of it between 10-30' deep. We have harvested about 30 gills 6 1/2" - 7 1/2" and two catfish about 13". Until the bass get established, I've put my foot down and told everyone that we won't be harvesting any catfish.

I have been told that this fall we'll get whatever fish stocked that I recommend. The owner decided that the pumping and all that should be about wrapped up by then so he's comfortable with stocking bass. As much as I'd love to get perch in there, I ain't throwing a bunch of species in there and have the place get overrun with little panfish. For now, I'm thinking largemouth only. My initial thought was to simply stock fingerlings at 100/acre and adult bass 50/acre. I'm pretty open to suggestions on stocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishingnerd33 View Post
          The gills & catfish were stocked in October 2010 and nothing to our knowledge since. The gills were 1 1/2" - 2" and the catfish were 10". This spring we've caught gills up to 9", a green sunfish & three hybrids that broke the 10" mark, and catfish up to 22". One cool thing is that the catfish seem to be preying on the bluegill pretty regularly. When we've gone out this year, we'll catch about 10-15 gills before our first catfish. To me that says that the commotion from the gills feeding and splashing around attracts the catfish and the cats put on the feed bag. Last night I caught one catfish with a rather large gut and could feel at least two gills in its stomach.

There is no shortage of gills, so the recruitment has been very good. The vegetation is strong in the shallow water, plenty of bugs and snails present as well. Surface area is about 7-8 acres, most of the pond is 5-7' deep with about 1/3 of it between 10-30' deep. We have harvested about 30 gills 6 1/2" - 7 1/2" and two catfish about 13". Until the bass get established, I've put my foot down and told everyone that we won't be harvesting any catfish.

I have been told that this fall we'll get whatever fish stocked that I recommend. The owner decided that the pumping and all that should be about wrapped up by then so he's comfortable with stocking bass. As much as I'd love to get perch in there, I ain't throwing a bunch of species in there and have the place get overrun with little panfish. For now, I'm thinking largemouth only. My initial thought was to simply stock fingerlings at 100/acre and adult bass 50/acre. I'm pretty open to suggestions on stocking.
          With the sunfish and catfish already established, stock the biggest bass you can get and stock as many of them as you can get. If you can get adult bass up to 50/acre, do it.

Daryl B.
          Daryl Bauer
          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

In addition to the adult bass would you recommend any fingerlings? Or would they just end up being kitty bait? Should we look at a higher ratio than 50/acre of the adults? At what point would we be stocking too many/acre?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishingnerd33 View Post
              In addition to the adult bass would you recommend any fingerlings? Or would they just end up being kitty bait? Should we look at a higher ratio than 50/acre of the adults? At what point would we be stocking too many/acre?
              You could try some fingerlings, but I would not expect them to be as successful as the larger fish, and with the sunfish already established you need adult predators in there ASAP.

Don't worry about getting too many predators. First of all, small water fish communities that are dominated by predator fish produce big panfish and that ain't all bad. Secondly, an "over-abundance" of predators is a lot easier to manage than an over-abundance of panfish. If you can get up to 50/acre of adult bass that would be great; if you go higher than that, without going crazy, that should be fine too.

Daryl B.
              Daryl Bauer
              Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
              Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
              daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
              http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Wow, didn't realize it has been SO LONG since updating this thread!

Largemouth bass were stocked 2 years ago, and we are starting to see some in the 12-14" range already. Somehow green sunfish must have gotten mixed in with the bluegill when originally stocked as we are catching sunfish and hybrids regularly. Most of the parish caught are in the 7-8" range, so we have been keeping a good number of them for meals.

The catfish have pretty much disappeared from being caught. We see them busting the surface off shore every once in awhile, but have only caught one this year so far. Thinking we may want to put some more of those in the pond.

Vegetation is excellent! There are several families of ducks that nest on the pond, a few raccoons are seen occasionally, and the dove and goose hunting is pretty darn good around the pond.

We are in the middle of a house project at home so pictures will have to wait until I have more time to update.

Comment

Working...
                X