Determining depth of my lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining depth of my lake

I was able to purchase my own "lake". Its a sandpit about 7 acres of water- very limited structure. I have a platform boat with a trolling motor- no electronics. I'm wanting to create my own map- with depths. I'm told it's around 30 ft deep in the deepest part, but has a few "coves", etc. I'm thinking of using a rope and tying to a heavy weight (any suggestions on what) and just going around slowly to measure (i'll mark the rope in 5 ft increments) and recording the depths.

Has anyone done something like this before? Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions (it would be extremely difficult to launch a bigger boat with electronics), and I really don't see the need to invest $$$$ on electronics.

I would like to have enough data/information so that I can add structure this winter?

Any advice or thoughts?

I would see if someone could lend you a flasher or portable fish finder that you could borrow. It would save you quite a bit of time and give you a more accurate reading.

Comment

Some electronics will auto-create a map for you. This would be the most efficient way to do it.
      Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

I second that electronics are gonna be a must. Beg or borrow a unit with GPS. If you have a micro-SD card, you can record the data and generate a custom map.
        " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Kayak and fish finder.

Could anyone recommend a fish finder that is easy to create maps with? And not cost $500. I'm working on the same thing right now.

Comment

I've got a Lowrance Mark 4 (B&W unit with GPS and mapping) that I bought four or five years ago at WallyWorld for $98. Used that in Yakky Doodle until I found a Hook 5 color unit on closeout.

Just remember to avoid the X versions of the sounders. (4X, 5X, 7X) -- they don't accept the microSD cards or premade map cards

" A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Working...
            X