How small is too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How small is too small?

Recently moved to a new house that sits on 3 acres, with about an acre of that, by my opinion, is 'unusable.' It's a big wooded ravine that I like and wouldn't want to alter. But I would like to have a water feature somewhere on the property. Primarily as a watering hole for wildlife.

So my question is how small of a pond is worth the effort to create and maintain? Not looking for any trophy fish. Maybe harvest something once in a blue moon. Don't really care what kind of fish. (OK, I want marlin and zander. LOL)

I'm trying to determine if it is going to be worth the effort to even look into or if I'm wasting time. I don't know what my property could sustain.

Is 1/8, or 1/10th, (or smaller) of an acre worth it? Or should I just get one of those drop in pond liners, forgo fish, and call it a day?
    Last edited by Nuwin; 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM.

Do not know that there is a hard and fast answer to your question, "how small is too small" depends on what you want to use the pond for, also depends on a lot more like depth, water source, how much work/management you want to put into it, etc.

Let me offer this, there is a chapter in the Pond Management Guide series on pond construction. See if that might help you determine what you want.

And of course, if you have more questions, ask 'em!

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Not looking for much from a fishing perspective. Something fun for the kids to do, or for me to kill 20 minutes every once in a while. Not much harvest if at all. I'd be happy with a bullhead pond really. The green carp, bluegill, channel cat combo doesn't upset me either.

As low maintenance is possible really. The fish would be a bonus. Primary goal is a place for the birds, bugs, deer, etc. to keep hydrated. I'm planning on planting milkweed and other wildflowers on the property to. Basically cramming as much self sustaining nature as I can in my yard.

Comment

Even if it is relatively small and too shallow to support a lot of fish, you could still have some black bullheads and green sunfish; if it is deep enough, sure, largemouth bass and bluegills, maybe a handful of channel cats--"K.I.S.S." Keep it simple. Could be a great frog pond too. Certainly build as many habitat features as possible into the pond and surrounding ground no matter how small it will be. Water is very important to all kinds of critters!

Daryl B.
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        [email protected]
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Thought I would bump my old thread and add some pictures.

I ultimately gave up on the idea of a fishing pond and went with a small wildlife pond instead. About 10' in diameter and 3' deep. Around 1/3 is only about 8" -12" deep and filled with gravel and plants. The bog is my filtration source as I pump water from the pond into the bog.

The rest is a boring bowl shape except the very center where it drops off to 3'. I dug that hole big enough for a planter basket for a water lily and I threw and old tire I found in the woods in there so the $0.19 goldfish I added would have a place to hide.

Started digging in March and had water in it early in April. By the end of April, frogs had already found it and did what nature does. A lot of usual suspects as far as visitors go. But my favorite by far is the Cooper's Hawk that likes to hang out in and around the pond.

Attached Files

Comment

Very Cool Randy! A Mountain Loin and Pink Geese! WOW

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              "Ditto" what "QuackerTracker" said!

Daryl B.

Thanks for sharing. Great project and photos.

Comment

Nice update!

Comment

I really like the picture of the doe-eyed deer staring at the "pink geese". There could be a lot of funny quotes for what she is thinking. "Do you serve any acorns at this pond?"
                Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

Went out to check the trail cam now that the monsoon is over.

Comment

Pretty cool, Randy! Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Grabbed a quick cell phone picture this evening. Trimmed up some grass for better viewing.

Comment

Great turkey pics. But what about the goldfish???

Comment

Here ya go.

Comment

I also had this frog take residence in the pond recently.

Comment

Working...
                            X