Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best time of year for hay bales in the water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time of year for hay bales in the water?

Which time of year is the best to put in hay bales to control weeds? Is the water temp the determining factor? Is it grass hay or alfalfa that is used?

Control weeds?????? By adding hay bales???? Don't know that is going to happen.

What have you been told?

Check this out, Nebraska Pond Guide Series, Aquatic Vegetation

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

I read through that booklet last week Daryl and must have missed where it said Barley straw and March or April. Where would a guy get Barley straw?

Comment

Originally posted by Neblinc View Post
        I read through that booklet last week Daryl and must have missed where it said Barley straw and March or April. Where would a guy get Barley straw?
        Our pond management book, and guide series, recommends barley straw as a possible treatment for algae. I doubt that any kind of hay or straw would have an impact on rooted aquatic vegetation.

What I read was on page 8 of this chapter, Nebraska Pond Guide, Aquatic Vegetation

Barley straw? I have no idea where you might find that. Of course the smart aleck remark would be to find a farmer who raises barley, but I do not think that there are many of them. Would a local CO-OP be any help?

Daryl B.
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

What kind of vegetation are you trying to control / eradicate ?

Comment

Working...
          X