X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitetips
    replied
    Originally posted by authentic View Post
    My friend built a house on about a 20 acre sandpit, this spring. I had the opportunity to fish it last week, and found an interesting mix of fish. There were a small number of big bluegill, many big channels, big crappie, small green sunfish, some carp & a load of gar. There was not a bass to be found, though. He said he's maybe caught a half dozen, all under a foot long, in the time he's been there. Does something need to be done for the bass population? There seemed to be great habitat for them all over the lake.
    First of all, you need a better idea of what is in there. I will be the first to tell you that some fishing will give you a pretty good idea, but there might be some surprises. We do offer assistance to private pit and pond owners, Private Waters Program. I will not make any promises because everyone is busy, but there is contact information there, see if you cannot arrange to have someone come out and take a look.

How often has it flooded?

With the species mix you described, it has flooded some time, and if it frequently floods, there may not be a whole lot that can be done. If it floods rarely or should not flood in the future, then there might be some options, but they may not be cheap. For example, once the Bass population lags behind, the quickest and surest way to get back may be to chemically eliminate all fish and start over.

Good luck,

Daryl B.

Leave a comment:

• authentic
    started a topic Sandpit question

Sandpit question

My friend built a house on about a 20 acre sandpit, this spring. I had the opportunity to fish it last week, and found an interesting mix of fish. There were a small number of big bluegill, many big channels, big crappie, small green sunfish, some carp & a load of gar. There was not a bass to be found, though. He said he's maybe caught a half dozen, all under a foot long, in the time he's been there. Does something need to be done for the bass population? There seemed to be great habitat for them all over the lake.
Working...
X