green fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

green fish

We have a 3/4 acre pond in our pasture that was built in 1971 was been a place for the local kids to fish and many have over the years. In the summer of 2011 he lost all the fish due to a lack of oxygen in late July. We restocked that fall from a private hatchery then the drought of 2012 came and after talking to over with the help of game and parks farm pond guy, we decided to get a backhoe in and clean out all the dead decaying matter that had collected over all the years. We thought that in the spring we would have to restock the pond as it was thanksgiving before the project was completed. Much to our surprise in late May we saw gills on the beds. But then we also found greenfish. We took out 1500 last year. I put a nickel bounty on ever greenie caught by a kid. Kids had fun but can I ever get ahead of them? We have stocked some Cats and tried to Stock Bass. Cats are doing good but really wonder where we are at on the bass. Any one else ever deal with this?

What size were the LMB when you stocked them? Were the green sunfish large enough at the time that they could have eaten the LMB you stocked? If you are not seeing any LMB you might want to stock them at a larger size, at least 6".
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

Well we stocked 2 to 3 inchers when they gills would have been small. But then we dug out the pond. I don't know how the greenies got in there unless the hatchery had greenies in the initial stocking. At the time we stocked the Bass we also stocked 25 catfish that are now 2 to 3 lbs. Last spring we stocked an additional 50 4" to 5" bass and additional 75 cats 5" to 6" inches. We did catch a couple throughout the summer but none where caught through the ice this winter. I know summit had a large population and once the bass got a foothold they where about gone. Its always been a challenge with such a small pond but I would really hate to start back to square one, some of the gills are getting really fun for the kids to catch. Thanks for the response

Comment

The LMB you stocked are likely still there but not in a high enough density to be very catchable. Hopefully you will see some evidence of LMB recruitment later this summer, if not you might want to think about stocking some additional LMB in the fall.
        Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

I'm hoping once the weather settles down we can possible watch the shallows to see if any bass are cruising around. The next thing we'll be if we get the greenies knocked back, will be keeping the predator to prey ratio in balance. We had crappie in there once and that was just like the green fish, So we have fought this battle before. Wonder if a clover leaf trap would help? I know I have to get permission before I set it. Thanks for the comments Shorty, Ed

Comment

What problems are the green sunfish causing?

Green sunfish are found everywhere in Nebraska and are a species that can survive anywhere. It does not surprise me a bit that they are present in your pond.

And green sunfish are rarely a problem by themselves. If you can get your bass population established, they will take care of the green sunfish.

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

ok I just thought they where competing with the bluegills. That's really what we are trying to get going are the Gills. Kids liked to catch catfish and we have always had them throw the bass back before we lost everything. I think we had a catfish that weighed 8 to 10 lbs. the kids called one whisker picture taken a dozen times. The local school was come out to the pond also. So we are probably just aren't being patience enough. Thanks for the input Ed

Comment

Originally posted by e01977hunt View Post
                ok I just thought they where competing with the bluegills. That's really what we are trying to get going are the Gills. Kids liked to catch catfish and we have always had them throw the bass back before we lost everything. I think we had a catfish that weighed 8 to 10 lbs. the kids called one whisker picture taken a dozen times. The local school was come out to the pond also. So we are probably just aren't being patience enough. Thanks for the input Ed
                A lot of times in new waters or newly renovated waters the green sunfish will get off to a bit of a head start, but over time the bluegills tend to predominate. In that transition period you might see some bluegill X green sunfish hybrids as well and some of those can be really nice-sized fish.

Give it some time, see what happens. . . .

Daryl B.
                Daryl Bauer
                Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

When we bought our 4 acre pond 5 years ago there wasn't a bluegill to be found, but green sunfish everywhere. I stocked 200 3-5" bluegill. Now 5 years later the bluegill population has exploded and outpaced the green sunfish population. We catch a few hybrids as well which are very good sized and aggressive. We have a very healthy LMB bass population which helps too. Hope that helps ease your mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X