Help with my friends Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my friends Pond

My friends pond is just about 3/4 of an acre, its spring fed and around 12-14 feet at the deepest point. It has Large Mouth and Gills in it. My question is should he take some of the smaller fish out due to over population. We caught 24 fish from 12-18 inches in 90 min. most were around 15 inches. I know there are some bigger ones in there, he is wondering if some were removed would they have more room to grow. The pond is around 8 years old. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Originally posted by MBennett View Post
    My friends pond is just about 3/4 of an acre, its spring fed and around 12-14 feet at the deepest point. It has Large Mouth and Gills in it. My question is should he take some of the smaller fish out due to over population. We caught 24 fish from 12-18 inches in 90 min. most were around 15 inches. I know there are some bigger ones in there, he is wondering if some were removed would they have more room to grow. The pond is around 8 years old. Thanks for any help in this matter.
    The answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on what your friend wants from his pond. A high density of small to medium-size largemouth bass is a great way to produce quality panfish and high catch rates for the bass. If he wants bigger bass, then thinning some of the bass might be appropriate, but the trade-off would likely be smaller panfish.

There is some great reference material here, Pond Management Guide Series, pay special attention to this chapter, Managing a Bass/Bluegill/Catfish Pond.

If you need more help, be sure to check out our Private Waters Program.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
      X