Goose Control Beacon. Does it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goose Control Beacon. Does it work?

We would really like to chase the geese (and cormorants) away from our sand pit. Do these things work?
    TIA

It looks like the Awaywithgeese option has a 90 day money back guarantee on their product so I guess you could give it a shot. The ones I saw in a Google search were upwards of $300 which seems kind of steep for what amounts to a blinking light. There are also "pyrotechnic pistols" that launch little noisy fireworks to scare geese away, but if you're in town that might not work for you.

Comment

Do not know about that particular product, maybe it is THE greatest.

All I will tell you is that many of those scare devices work, but if you use them continually the critters become accustomed to them and then they ignore them.

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've already tried to scare them with fireworks. They weren't spooked at all.

Comment

Where are you located at? Would you entertain allowing people to train their hunting dogs during the off season out there? My lab would have a hay day chasing birds out of there...

Comment

Be aware: If you are harassing birds that are actively breeding, you may cause abandonment of the nest. Any activity that causes abandonment of eggs or chicks is considered “take” and is ILLEGAL. A depredation permit is required to perform these activities.

Like Daryl said, concussion type disturbance devices soon become ineffective as birds get used to them quickly. For geese the most effective method I've seen to keep them off of lawns involves a fence of monofilament. It teaches them to stay away from the property, however it may not be as effective in a sandpit setting where they're using the water a lot.

And, as far as cormorants go, you're kind of out of luck. If there are only a few they won't bother too much, and often if there are a lot they'll only stay for a short time as they migrate to breeding grounds. Short term impacts like that can be overcome in a short time.

Comment

Working...
            X