New sand pit fishing questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New sand pit fishing questions

I bought a 3.5 acre sandpit in central Nebraska late last summer. I had great luck initially with bass (12"-18") and crappie (12''-15''). Late September the bass came to a screeching halt. I was able to catch crappie until early October.

I have 0 fish on the year. I know that it is early and I am probably just impatient. However, it seems like other people on the forum had had some luck. So far I have tried plastics slow and on the bottom for bass, jigging for crappie, dead shad minnows on the bottom for catfish, and corn for carp. I have also tried shallow areas and the north side of the sandpit with no luck.

I have seen a number of bass this spring but they seem lethargic and are not "spooked" by my presence.

Some background on pond; there are a number of drop offs with different depths, some fallen trees in the water, and weeded areas.

My questions are;
    What happened that made the bass stop seemingly overnight last fall?
    What could I do to catch anything this spring? I would settle for anything at this point.
    How should I add structure? I have an abundance of trees that I can add. Can I add too many trees? Should I sink the trees or just lay them half on land, half in water?

Sorry this is so long, thanks in any advance for any help.

You should have put this question in the fishing forum for more action but I can chime in. For the bass this spring use a chatterbait or small crankbait. White or green on the chatterbait and white for the crank. If there are any flats on the sand pit use a lipless crank like bill lewis rattletrap or strike king red eye shad. The trick to spring fishing is "tight" wobble. fish will react to these baits even in cold temps. Sand pits will warm faster than most big lakes unless it is crystal clear. Small jig and craw and a jerkbait would be good too.
    Jewel Jigs/Optimum Frogs #1/Hobie PA 12/Ranger Boats
    Small Boat Bass Club(AOY 2013/2014)/MoKan(AOY 2016)
    2016 Midwest Kayak Series Champ - AOY
    (Midwest) Club level Tourneys (2013-2016) 61 total
    - 18 Wins
    - 31 Top 3 Finishes
    - 50 Top 5 Finishes

Comment

Thanks, first time posting on the website so I will repost it.

Comment

Originally posted by skers82 View Post
        Thanks, first time posting on the website so I will repost it.
        No need to repost it. It will get moved to the Pond Forum where people will find it.

Comment

I've had good luck with some shallow shadow raps over the past week and a half. Fished it real slow.

Comment

Originally posted by skers82 View Post
            I bought a 3.5 acre sandpit in central Nebraska late last summer. I had great luck initially with bass (12"-18") and crappie (12''-15''). Late September the bass came to a screeching halt. I was able to catch crappie until early October.

I have 0 fish on the year. I know that it is early and I am probably just impatient. However, it seems like other people on the forum had had some luck. So far I have tried plastics slow and on the bottom for bass, jigging for crappie, dead shad minnows on the bottom for catfish, and corn for carp. I have also tried shallow areas and the north side of the sandpit with no luck.

I have seen a number of bass this spring but they seem lethargic and are not "spooked" by my presence.

Some background on pond; there are a number of drop offs with different depths, some fallen trees in the water, and weeded areas.

My questions are;
            What happened that made the bass stop seemingly overnight last fall?
            What could I do to catch anything this spring? I would settle for anything at this point.
            How should I add structure? I have an abundance of trees that I can add. Can I add too many trees? Should I sink the trees or just lay them half on land, half in water?

Sorry this is so long, thanks in any advance for any help.
            First of all, you need to see this, it will answer a lot of your questions about pit and pond management, Nebraska Pond Management Guide Series.

Second of all there are probably a hundred and one reasons the bass have gotten tougher to catch, and most of those could occur without there being anything wrong with your pit or the bass. One thing to keep in mind, in cold water in the fall and early spring, sometimes you have to fish slow, and by slow that may be as slow as you can stand to fish and then slow down even more.

Those fish may very likely be cruising into shallow warming areas where you are seeing them right now, and in the cold water they may not spook off real fast. If you can see them, they have also likely seen you by that point and once they do that they get a lot tougher to catch.

How many acres of trees are you going to add for fish attractors?

No, you will not add "too many". In a sandpit, do NOT put many of them if any in the deepest water. During the summer many Nebraska sandpits stratify and in those that do there will be little or no oxygen and no fish in that deepest water. Brush pile fish attractors in the deepest part of sandpits may only attract fish during the winter. Keep the brush piles or trees relatively shallow, less than 8 or 10 feet of water would be a good rule of thumb. Lay them along the shoreline, sink them, be creative, whatever.

Hope some of that helps,

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Working...
            X