Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canoeing across public land

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Canoeing across public land

    Looking into conoeing the last part of a river system that has only private property for access. With that said there is a dam with public lake above the stretch I'm looking to conoe. Without getting technical I know that as a resident of nebraska can get out of any nebraska water way to navigate any man made or natural obstical. With that said, am I permitted to trespass on state property to bypass the dam and continue floating down the river surounded by public land? Any advice on who to call to clarify these regulations and answer any similar questions?

    #2
    You should contact the Property Manager of the "state property".

    While I don't like your choice of the word "trespass", accessing "public property" concerns can be handled with a simple phone call.

    DO keep a note of who you called if your request for access is provided.

    Harold F.
    Report Fish/Game Violations:
    1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

    Comment


      #3
      What river?

      Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      [email protected]
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

      Comment


        #4
        Lower snake any advice?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by husker14 View Post
          Lower snake any advice?
          Better have permission from all landowners, and I am not sure it is even canoe-able. There are a darned lot of deadfalls in that stretch.

          Daryl B.
          Daryl Bauer
          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
          [email protected]
          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

          Comment


            #6
            I am aware of the obstacles granted things have probably changed significantly. But father and friends did it numerous times in the 80s pre privatiazation. After all the fine print the water still belongs to the state. My question is who at the state can I contact to clarify questions. I would like to do things correctly and enjoy a beautiful part of nebraska only seen by a select few and also complete something my father did in his younger years.

            Darrel any advice is appreciated granted your position at g and p

            Comment


              #7
              I'm not an expert in the area by any means, but what public land abuts that section of the Snake downstream of Merrit Reservoir? A quick look on OnX shows no public land in that area other than some BELF land which is most likely leased out.
              -----------------------------------------
              -My computer, my time, my opinions

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Scott Eveland View Post
                I'm not an expert in the area by any means, but what public land abuts that section of the Snake downstream of Merrit Reservoir? A quick look on OnX shows no public land in that area other than some BELF land which is most likely leased out.
                There is no publicly accessible BELF property in that area. Under current agreements the leaseholders hold the recreational rights as well. As the original poster noted the water is public but I'm also having a hard time picturing where they intend to get out on public ground once they have gone below Merritt.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by husker14 View Post
                  I am aware of the obstacles granted things have probably changed significantly. But father and friends did it numerous times in the 80s pre privatiazation. After all the fine print the water still belongs to the state. My question is who at the state can I contact to clarify questions. I would like to do things correctly and enjoy a beautiful part of nebraska only seen by a select few and also complete something my father did in his younger years.

                  Darrel any advice is appreciated granted your position at g and p
                  I'm not aware of any parcels there that were public in the 80s but are now private. Can you provide, either here or by PM, your intended route? I'm familiar with that stretch but as others noted I'm not readily thinking of anyplace where you could get off the water along that stretch.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    River was accessed via 🙊🙊🙊🙊 spillway. Exit was snake falls where they camped most times or in some years exit was on the 97 bridge over the niobrara.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by husker14 View Post
                      River was accessed via ☠☠☠☠ spillway. Exit was snake falls where they camped most times or in some years exit was on the 97 bridge over the niobrara.
                      New owners along that stretch between the dam and Snake Falls, so if planning to get on or off the river there you would need their permission. And below the falls to the river bridge there have been many other ownership changes since then. Since your earlier question asked who to contact to make sure this was done legally I'd suggest the local conservation officer which is Frank Miller at 402-389-0444. He is based in Valentine so that would be his area.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X