Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Hours how it compares to mileage on a car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Hours how it compares to mileage on a car.

Getting my boat this July. I wanted to understand the very basics here. I know that 50 hours is considered the break-in period for an outboard. How does 50 hours compare to a car mileage. 50 hours = 10,000 miles. Am I close or is that way off base? Trying to get an understanding as I want to know if 300 hours on an outboard is like buying a car with 200,000 miles on it or what?
    >*)))))><

I was told you should get 800 hrs on a 2 stroke before replacing a powerhead and 1400 hrs on a 4 stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefox213 View Post
      Getting my boat this July. I wanted to understand the very basics here. I know that 50 hours is considered the break-in period for an outboard. How does 50 hours compare to a car mileage. 50 hours = 10,000 miles. Am I close or is that way off base? Trying to get an understanding as I want to know if 300 hours on an outboard is like buying a car with 200,000 miles on it or what?
      Apples and oranges- why even try to compare?

50 hours? At low/moderate speed before "opening it up"??

A three day fishin' trip to Elwood Reservoir should be about right for "breaking in"!*

Harold F.

IF you are pulling your boat with a NEW TRUCK, depending on where you live, you might want to take the highways (60mph) rather than the Interstate!

* Possibly(?) Nebraska's LARGEST "no-wake" lake!
      Last edited by Harold; 05-22-2019, 03:57 PM.
      Report Fish/Game Violations:
      1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Probably the most qualified answer(s) will come from people who run a very active guiding business and/or outboard mechanics. When I bought my boat 3 years ago, the seller let me know that his estimate for the number of hours on the 60 HP Mariner was about 400. The mechanic told me that it was in great shape, except that he had never seen a certain shock-absorbing part (not a moving part in the engine) so worn out with the rest of the motor looking so good. It's run just fine for me the past 3 years - just keeping it maintained on schedule is all...

Comment

I heard 100 hours equals about 15,000 miles on a car from a reputable. That seems to be a reasonable quotient with 1 marine engine hour = car/truck terrain 150 miles.
          >*)))))><

Comment

Working...
          X