Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearing Buddies or Dust Cap Covers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bearing Buddies or Dust Cap Covers?

    Just curious on what everyone prefers on their boat trailers, bearing buddies or dust cap covers? Last year I had to have a bunch of work done on my boat trailer and the shop that fixed it put dust cap covers on the axles. My dad swears by bearing buddies and just wondering if it is worth replacing the dust cap covers with bearing buddies. Thanks

    #2
    Originally posted by barrywalker View Post
    Just curious on what everyone prefers on their boat trailers, bearing buddies or dust cap covers? Last year I had to have a bunch of work done on my boat trailer and the shop that fixed it put dust cap covers on the axles. My dad swears by bearing buddies and just wondering if it is worth replacing the dust cap covers with bearing buddies. Thanks
    Bearing buddies for sure.

    Comment


    • Harold
      Harold commented
      Editing a comment
      X 2

    #3
    Thanks that’s the direction I was leaning

    Comment


      #4
      I would go with bearing buddies, but understand that the mistake some folks make with bearing buddies is assuming that a few shots of grease in there each spring is all the "maintenance" that needs to be done.

      I probably over-do it when I re-pack my bearings and clean out the bearing buddies at the end of each season before winter storage, but it's definitely not advisable to just keep pumping grease in there and never open things up to take a look or re-pack.

      Comment


        #5
        Originally posted by NateWC View Post
        I would go with bearing buddies, but understand that the mistake some folks make with bearing buddies is assuming that a few shots of grease in there each spring is all the "maintenance" that needs to be done.

        I probably over-do it when I re-pack my bearings and clean out the bearing buddies at the end of each season before winter storage, but it's definitely not advisable to just keep pumping grease in there and never open things up to take a look or re-pack.
        Don’t know about over doing it, but I will bet you are not concerned about your bearings when you trailer your boat somewhere!
        Keep it safe! JDL

        Comment


          #6
          Kind of a spin off on the thread. Doing research on bearing buddies and by extension bearings. Went to the shore lander web site to get the part number of new bearings. Said to enter the vin # of the trailer to get the parts #. Would not recognize the vin so how would I figure out what bearings I need? Also is there a lot of different sizes of bearing buddies. Like buddies for an older trailer should not have changed? I know measurements. Just wondering.
          Keep it safe! JDL
          Last edited by Jayomaha; 05-06-2019, 04:01 PM.

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
            Kind of a spin off on the thread. Doing research on bearing buddies and by extension bearings. Went to the shore lander web site to get the part number of new bearings. Said to enter the vin # of the trailer to get the parts #. Would not recognize the vin so how would I figure out what bearings I need? Also is there a lot of different sizes of bearing buddies. Like buddies for an older trailer should not have changed? I know measurements. Just wondering.
            Keep it safe! JDL
            If you know measurements or if you have the old bearings and can read the numbers on the back of the wider side, that will help. I have bought my trailer bearings, races, and seals at AA Wheel & Truck (89th and J in Omaha) the past few times and they have been helpful and knowledgeable. Guessing they would have bearing buddies that would fit too.

            Comment

            Working...
            X