Trolling motor battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trolling motor battery

Have a 14’ jon boat. 55# thrust trolling motor. Looking for a battery that weighs the least. I looked at some deep Cycle Batteries that are pretty expensive but they were all around 40+ #. Hopefully some of you yak folks can steer me to a fairly lite weight battery that will give me like 6 or 7 hours of intermittent use. Just trying to go easy on my back!
    Keep it safe! JDL

I don't know about specific battery weights, but THE way to go easy on your back is to only put the battery in the boat once - leave the battery on the boat and get an onboard charger.

Otherwise, the "group size" of the battery is the thing to look at. I think I use a group 27 battery for my 55lb 12v PowerDrive, and I think it weights about 50 lbs.
    According to Interstate Battery, if you step down to a group 24, the weight is 46 lbs...

Comment

Originally posted by NateWC View Post
      I don't know about specific battery weights, but THE way to go easy on your back is to only put the battery in the boat once - leave the battery on the boat and get an onboard charger.

Otherwise, the "group size" of the battery is the thing to look at. I think I use a group 27 battery for my 55lb 12v PowerDrive, and I think it weights about 50 lbs.
      According to Interstate Battery, if you step down to a group 24, the weight is 46 lbs...
      OK, now that I've been home and checked, I have a group 29 battery for my trolling motor and it weighs a million pounds (actually about 60, but it felt like a million - hence the onboard charger).

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Sadly my Jon boat is stored in a place that has 8;lakes but I can’t plug it into anything so I have to bring ny battery home to charge it. I was hoping that someone would tell me that there is a battery out there lite enough not to break my back and not so expensive as to break my bank account
        Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I don't know what a solar charger/tender runs money-wise and I have no experience with them, but I know they exist. They probably wouldn't be fast, though. Are you looking to use the boat for several hours on back-to-back days?

Comment

No mostly right now on the weekends. Was just wondering if there was some new tech out there that I didn’t know about. Never worry how much a battery weighs until you have to pick it up. If I can ever get rid of my big boat I am planning on parking my little boat in my driveway and then I can leave the battery in the boat. Thing about the big boat after my last back injury I just can’t get it launched. Little boat I can get off work and run out to WC for a couple of hours, no issues.
            Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

If you're not confused yet, the answer to your needs is in here:

BEST TROLLING MOTOR BATTERY

Just gotta pick the RIGHT ONE!

Harold F.
              Report Fish/Game Violations:
              1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

I use a Group 22 Duracell AGM deep cycle battery from Batteries Plus on my 8' Pelican boat. It has 55 amp hours. I use it for 3-6 hours of intermittent use and it rarely drops below 12 volts. It weighs about 35 lbs; that's the most weight I can handle. In the future I'll probable get a smaller battery.

Here's the key: Try to minimize using the TOP speed on your trolling motor. The amp draw on my Minn Kota is like: 5, 10, 15, 20, 40. See the jump at top speed?
                Last edited by pelican; 09-25-2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply folks. I use the battery for 3 to 6 hours per outing. Very seldom do I push past 3 on the motor. So I really am never worried about getting stranded.. I just hoped that there was a battery out there that weighs like 15lbs, lasts for 3 days, and I could trade one of my flying pigs for it!
                  Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
                    Thanks for the reply folks. I use the battery for 3 to 6 hours per outing. Very seldom do I push past 3 on the motor. So I really am never worried about getting stranded.. I just hoped that there was a battery out there that weighs like 15lbs, lasts for 3 days, and I could trade one of my flying pigs for it!
                    Keep it safe! JDL
                    I might try a smaller battery in the future. Duracell has a 35 amp hour deep cycle that weighs 24 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by pelican View Post

I might try a smaller battery in the future. Duracell has a 35 amp hour deep cycle that weighs 24 lbs.
                      Well that is interesting. Thanks!
                      Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
                        Well that is interesting. Thanks!
                        Keep it safe! JDL
                        Also just bought a nifty NOCO Genius 1100 charger. Nice little unit.

Comment

Energized Outdoors has a 55AH lithium trolling motor battery that only weighs 15 lbs. Battery and charger on sale for $359.
                          " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Originally posted by Val Didrichsons View Post
                            Energized Outdoors has a 55AH lithium trolling motor battery that only weighs 15 lbs. Battery and charger on sale for $359.
                            That a lot of $$$, but a good deal if that's what a guy needs.

Comment

Originally posted by pelican View Post

That a lot of $$$, but a good deal if that's what a guy needs.
                              Even though I could argue the benefits to my back I am thinking I would have a hard time convincing my CFO to cut loose with the cash!
                              Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Working...
                              X