Yamaha 25 Oil Drain Washer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha 25 Oil Drain Washer

Long story short, the oil change on my new Yamaha 25 didn’t go great. I put a new engine oil drain crush washer on today and I thought it was leaking a bit so I tightened it down to where I could feel the washer crushing and then quit once it felt like it wouldn’t go any further. When I looked at it, the washer was expanded pretty good towards the bottom. Anyone have any experience with these washers, I’m wondering if I tightened it too much?

I don't have a Yamaha (or even a 4 stroke), but I have a lot of oil changing experience with vehicles that have crush washers. On those vehicles, I usually do not see obvious expansion when the drain bolt is torqued properly. Usually, the first thing to give in the system is the threads that are cut into the oil pan, though. So if it's still holding tight, your threads are probably OK and you didn't over-tighten it enough to cause damage. Unless all the threads come out with the bolt the next time you change the oil...

You might consider looking up the torque specification for the drain bolt, and then (if you have a torque wrench) seeing what that "feels" like when you're tightening a bolt.

Comment

Working...
    X