Trailer Tire Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed Trailer Tire Options

Our current boat trailer tires need replaced before the upcoming fishing season. Currently there are 155/80/13 tires. From what I've read that size in trailer tires aren't made anymore?

Would it be stupid to put regular tires on the trailer? It's a 16' Aluminum V-hull boat, no outboard, electric motor only. We typically make 2-3 long trips (2+ hours, one-way) and other trips are within an hour one-way. I spoke to one individual from a tire store who said that wouldn't be an issue but I'm not sure.

I have found 175/80/13 trailer tires, but I don't think I have enough clearance on the trailer for the larger tires. Thoughts?
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Is replacing the fenders an option for more clearance?

bigger the tire you can fit, the better in my opinion. 13" wheel is just fine, but if you can fit a 175 tire with a little work, I'd go that route.

if you trailer it A LOT, look at spending a bit more on tires. I've gotten great life and wear out of my Carlisle tires. I think they were around $50 a tire. I probably have 10k miles on mine, and they still look great.

Comment

I don't think moving/replacing fenders is an option. It's a Shorelandr trailer, the fenders are solid. I'll have to take a closer look and see if there's something I can make work.
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

After measuring the fenders and current tire assembly, I have 2 1/2" of clearance between the tire and inside of the fender. A 175 tire is about an inch and a half larger. Is 1" of clearance enough?

Comment

If you google 155/80/13 tires they come up.

Comment

Originally posted by DonH View Post
            If you google 155/80/13 tires they come up.
            All I have found in that size are passenger tires, no trailer tires. I haven't found a definitive answer on whether or not to put passenger tires on a boat trailer or not. I spoke to a couple tire shops locally and got conflicting answers.

Comment

Once you decide on the size, check Walmart.com. Last year I replaced my boat trailer tires and spare with Greenball Transmaster ST175/80R13 6 Ply Radial Trailer Tires @ $40 each. They shipped free to my local store and the mounting was free. They seem like decent quality tires.

Comment

First of all a "million farmers" can't be wrong...

​​​​​​Trailer tires simply roll. Wear is minimal compared to vehicles where tires spin, turn, stop abruptly etc. Following the farmer logic, my 12' semi V boat trailer has had tubes put in. The tire ain't gonna blow!

Since one can no longer buy a 6-ply sidewall tire (6 ply rated is NOT a 6 ply tire!) I use 4-ply sidewall PASSENGER tires on my bass boat trailer.

I'll likely put tubes in them when they AGE (since they only roll too!) .

Nails and striking something with the sidewall is more likely than blowing a trailer tire because of tread depth!

Don't believe me- ask a Farmer when he last bought NEW TIRES for any of his trailers!

​​​​​​
                ​​​​​​
                Report Fish/Game Violations:
                1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

OK you said you have about 2.5 " clearance between fender and tire and the 175's are 1 .5 "larger. So you will go from 2.5" clearance to 1.75" clearance since you only lose half the distance, or are you saying there is actually 3" difference in diameter of the tires. Also I assume the fender is mounted on the axle so the clearance is constant regardless of spring compression. As far a car tire vs trailer tire I would look at what the load rating is on your current trailer tire and what a car tire load rating is. You also might consider taking your boat to a scale and weigh the boat so you know how much weight you have on the tires. The little searching I did found a trailer tire (out of stock) rated at I think 1100lb max and a car tire at 963lb. I have a 16.4ft Sea Nymph alum bass boat that is sitting on 530x12 trailer tires that are rated at 1045lbs max. So I've got the wood decks have two batteries and two six gallon gas tanks that all sit in the back of the boat behind the trailer axle. I also have a fifty horse Mercury outboard. I would think as long as you aren't close to the max load rating on the tires you wouldn't have any issue. Sidewall stiffness would be the only other possible consideration I can think of that could affect the stability of trailering and if that was an issue I would think it would affect the drive-ability of a car also. When I was a kid we had used car tires on the farm trailers (hayracks) as Harold says. After they didn't have enough tread left to be a safe car tire they got repurposed to farm tires with a top speed of maybe 20 or 25 mph if behind a pickup or 15mph behind the tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksbybow View Post
                    Once you decide on the size, check Walmart.com. Last year I replaced my boat trailer tires and spare with Greenball Transmaster ST175/80R13 6 Ply Radial Trailer Tires @ $40 each. They shipped free to my local store and the mounting was free. They seem like decent quality tires.
                    don’t replace trailer tires very often but the two spares I have bought for my boat trailers I got at Walmart for like $40.00. Good luck!
                    Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Working...
                    X