Boat Cover Supports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed Boat Cover Supports

What do you all use to support the boat cover while hauling it to and from the lake? Our boat has the boat cover support brackets installed (3 pair) and I want to get something in place to help keep the boat cover tighter on trips. I currently have 1/2" plywood pieces doing the job but can already tell that isn't going to work permanently. Anyone have ideas of what to use?

I found this and it intrigues me a bit:
    Attwood Deluxe Boat Cover Support System available at Wholesale Marine. We offer Attwood products at lowest prices with superior service.
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

I used something similar to what you have attached. It worked really well for storing the boat outside. The straps kept the tarp from sagging and letting water pool on it. As using it for towing it didn't work as well. The straps would work loose and the tarp would still whip around. The brace that is on the pole is plastic and it broke the first time out. I repaired it using a 2x4 fastened to the bottom side.

Comment

Unless you have a really well made and heavy duty boat cover ($$$), it's going to get shredded on road trips eventually.
      When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

I've seen PVC pipe used a number of times. You can get creative and make it as durable as you want and still just toss it in the back of your pickup when you get to your destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish On View Post
          Unless you have a really well made and heavy duty boat cover ($$$), it's going to get shredded on road trips eventually.
          Yep. I never travel with cover. Not sure what the benefit is unless you are staying at a hotel maybe?
          Did I say that outloud??

Kill'em & Grill'em!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brian40 View Post

Yep. I never travel with cover. Not sure what the benefit is unless you are staying at a hotel maybe?
            Good to know. I have a heavy duty cover but normally use it for the summer months when I park it in my drive. Have a couple hundred mile trip planned and was debating weather to use it as a travel cover. To the post when I have it parked I just flip the seats up to take care of any valleys that may pool with water.
            Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

In our boat, it has zero secure storage. There's a bit of room under the benches that we stuff the lifejackets under when traveling. With the cover on, I can leave everything in the boat, drive to the fishing spot, unroll the cover, and hit the water. Not only that, but when camping/motel, it doesn't matter if it rains, everything stays nice and dry for the next morning. Without the cover, it's a hassle to unload everything, especially when pond hopping or fishing multiple places in a day. If I had dry/secure storage in the boat for lifejackets, tackle boxes, etc, I wouldn't mess with the cover.
              Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

I built mine out of 3/4" PVC and it works awesome. Total cost of material was probably around $15 dollars.

Comment

Working...
                X