Going Boat shopping this spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Boat shopping this spring

Life has been kind enough to me where I can purchase my truck and boat in the same year. Although I am trading a very nice car in to make the truck affordable. All I'm after is a fishing boat and having a hard time deciding on where I should go shopping for a deal. Mainly would be fishing Merritt, but the few other lakes I like would require a deep V with a windshield. I would like to avoid the dealership price tags as I think they are just too much money for the amount of fishing I actually get to do. When doing a private sell what should I be on the look out for? I printed off the buyer's guide here on the forum and that all seems like sound advice. My price range is probably $7K to max $11K. I think I can find a great deal from a private seller that isn't junk, but it will take a lot of patience to get the right deal. Am I taking too much of a risk buying on the private seller market if I am not a total boat expert. I have experience and there a few things I like the condition of hull, how it was stored, and if the motor kicks off ok. I really want this to be a good experience so my wife isn't too sore at me for buying these items and delaying our home purchase for a year. We already have a nice house, I just want her to be a bit more patient
    >*)))))><

Definitely check out MN, SD, and ND Craigslist in the coming months. Lots of aluminum deep v’s up there. Also consider that a full windshield wil make your wife happier. You may be able to find something pretty nice. I’ve seen a couple of deals locally last year as well but they seem to go quickly. Hope this helps!

Comment

Above all else, get the PO to give you a chance for a test drive and not just to start and run on muffs. A compression test, cold or warm, should also tell you a lot. Try to buy close to home if you can or allow for an overnight stay and much better to have more than one boat to look at on a trip out of state. Generally the places that have an overabundance of boats will have the best deals and those owners in smaller towns tend to sell for less.

Comment

Two necessary things when buying a used boat: make sure the motor runs good and the boat does not leak.

Comment

I found mine on Walleye Central classifieds.

Comment

One thing to consider is the additional things that you will have to add to the boat in the price. Just bought mine last spring, it didn't have pole holders, or an on board charger and I needed to buy another seat for it along with some other small things that were needed on it. By the time I got all said and done probably had close to another $800 dollars into it. Would also agree with what was stated earlier about checking for leaks, just something concerning to me about a boat that takes on water, no matter how little and even if they say it doesn't have any leaks don't take their word for it, speaking from experience there.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the advice from those who have bought privately before.
              >*)))))><

Comment

I would buy used, but only something that was 1-2 years old. You get way more boat by buying used, no doubt. I bought mine brand new off the showroom floor and I see used boats that are perhaps 1 year or 2 years old and I would have got way more boat.. but I fish the MO river and I wanted an engine that I had maintained..
                Yes I am a Christian. I won't try to force it on you, but I will always promote dads being dads. That is one of the major focal points of my ministry. I believe if dads would just be dads, we would solve a good portion of the problems in our community. My dad was a dad and he took me fishing all the time.

Comment

Working...
                X