Milky stuff when winterizing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milky stuff when winterizing

So I drained my lower unit of my 45hp 2 stroke1988 Mercury Mariner and milky colored stuff was coming out of the prop when I was running it with the muffs . When I drained the lower unit the oil looked black and good. Any ideas?

Milky is usually an indication of a water born substance, and a petroleum product being mixed.

(coolant and oil in a gasoline 4 stroke engine, such as head gasket failure)

Could be a deteriorated seal between the lubrication housing, and the outside water.

Comment

"Milky" water can even be as simple as turbulence and air getting mixed into the water as it's coming through the hose, and the milky nature of the water is caused by lots of tiny air bubbles in suspension. If the lower unit oil was nice and "not milky," I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're really curious, do it again and see if the water is milky again. If it is, collect some in a clean cup and let it set. If the milky aspect is gone within 5 minutes, then it's air bubbles. If it's still milky after that, then you have something more to investigate, and your investigation might lead to a plumbing issue or two with your outdoor spigot.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by DB4NU View Post
        So I drained my lower unit of my 45hp 2 stroke1988 Mercury Mariner and milky colored stuff was coming out of the prop when I was running it with the muffs . When I drained the lower unit the oil looked black and good. Any ideas?
        Since it's 2 stroke it could also be a little rich oil/gas mixture working through the exhaust and mixing with the expelled coolant water.
        Chubby

Comment

Originally posted by creekchubdale View Post

Since it's 2 stroke it could also be a little rich oil/gas mixture working through the exhaust and mixing with the expelled coolant water.
          I was fogging the carbs to. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X