Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor issues

Motor: 1995 Mercury 60 HP 2 stroke
    Whats wrong: Starts fine, idles fine when in gear motor boggs down.
    What I've done: changed plugs, checked fuel tank, line no issues, re-built fuel pump.
    No change, is my next course of action a mechanic?
    "My biggest worry...when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what she thinks I paid for it" (unknown)

Water pump impeller would be my first check with that issue.

Harold F.
    Report Fish/Game Violations:
    1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

You have a bad Ignition Coil ?????

Comment

Sounds like the same problem I had. It turns out the it was the overheat safety that limits the RPM.
        Good luck with your problem. It was a mechanic that found my problem.

Comment

Coils checks out fine. Pulled the bottom of one of the carbs and it was full of junk/water. Think it's time to re-build all 3 carbs!
          "My biggest worry...when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what she thinks I paid for it" (unknown)

Comment

What do you mean when you say lines fine?

I've seen a couple cases of the fuel line and/or primer bulb deteriorating, and plugging fuel filters, and carbs. While you're already doing the carbs, might be worth sticking new quality FUEL line on as preventative maintenance.

Comment

yeah,I replaced the fuel line/bulb.

Comment

I've got an '85 50hp Merc 4 cylinder 2 cycle with 2 carburetors that is doing almost the exact same thing. I starts easily and runs pretty good at low speeds, although it will run a little rough at idle/trolling speed at times. When I open it up it sort of roars & bogs down and will only push the boat 8-10 mph instead of 30 mph like it does when it's running correctly. The gas cans are clean metal inside with no rust. I changed to a brand new flexible alcohol resistant Atwood line/bulb combo and that didn't help. I don't ever run ethanol. While the plugs had little use (they're the non-gap electrode type) I changed them out for new ones just in case. I added 2 oz per gallon of Sea Foam to 10 gallons of Premium Unleaded (no alcohol) and it ran great through about 4 gallons until it sat overnight. The next day the problem was back again only worse. The motor has only been touched by a mechanic twice in 32 years and one of those was a leaking head gasket. I have a feeling the carburetors need to be cleaned or rebuilt. Who's the best 2 cycle Mercury repair shop around eastern Nebraska?
                Chubby

Comment

I had the vent on a gas can plugged once. Wouldn't let the fuel flow well enough to run worth a darn above idle. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out the problem. I did the same stuff you did. I felt dumb when i finally figured out it was something so simple. When you're bogging down while throttling up, open the cap and see if it helps. If it does your tank isnt venting properly. Might be worth a shot.
                  ​​​
                  GoodApp

Comment

Originally posted by JKL View Post
                    I had the vent on a gas can plugged once. Wouldn't let the fuel flow well enough to run worth a darn above idle. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out the problem. I did the same stuff you did. I felt dumb when i finally figured out it was something so simple. When you're bogging down while throttling up, open the cap and see if it helps. If it does your tank isnt venting properly. Might be worth a shot.
                    ​​​
                    Thanks for the tip. I actually had that happen years ago. I couldn't figure out why the motor wouldn't keep running good. Stock Mercury tanks have an adjustable screw/bolt on the top of the cap for a vent. I always travel with the vent 90% closed so that gas won't splash around and seep out yet keeps pressure from building up in the tank during hot or changing weather. Well that time I closed the darn thing when unloading instead of opening it up. I, too, felt pretty stupid when I looked down at the tank and realized what was going on. I'm pretty sure that's not the issue this time. I've got two tanks and the motor runs the same on either tank. You can also hear air bleed and see a little gas remnants on the cap when the vent is opened and pressure is released so I doubt that is the problem.
                    Chubby

Comment

problem with wiring or fuel

Comment

Originally posted by Loje View Post
                        problem with wiring or fuel
                        That's pretty obvious and why I'm looking for insight and recommendations on the best 2 cycle Mercury repair shop in eastern NE or western IA.

Chubby

Comment

I don't know about "best" because my motor (a Mariner/Mercury 60hp of mid-90's vintage) has been relatively trouble-free, but when it has needed work, Mike at Mobile Marine in Blair has done a quality job.

Comment

Originally posted by creekchubdale View Post

That's pretty obvious and why I'm looking for insight and recommendations on the best 2 cycle Mercury repair shop in eastern NE or western IA.
                            When my old merc 50 (1977) did that I started with the basics and worked my way up. Finally replaced the stator and found it was the culprit. Wasn't a terrible job replacing it but the flywheel requires a suitable puller. I also follow some "old pro" advice and never use ethanol enhanced gasoline in it. I do use about 6 oz of Seafoam per tank to keep things clean. I have heard all good things about Valley Marine in Valley Ne.

Comment

Originally posted by creekchubdale View Post
                              I've got an '85 50hp Merc 4 cylinder 2 cycle with 2 carburetors that is doing almost the exact same thing. I starts easily and runs pretty good at low speeds, although it will run a little rough at idle/trolling speed at times. When I open it up it sort of roars & bogs down and will only push the boat 8-10 mph instead of 30 mph like it does when it's running correctly. The gas cans are clean metal inside with no rust. I changed to a brand new flexible alcohol resistant Atwood line/bulb combo and that didn't help. I don't ever run ethanol. While the plugs had little use (they're the non-gap electrode type) I changed them out for new ones just in case. I added 2 oz per gallon of Sea Foam to 10 gallons of Premium Unleaded (no alcohol) and it ran great through about 4 gallons until it sat overnight. The next day the problem was back again only worse. The motor has only been touched by a mechanic twice in 32 years and one of those was a leaking head gasket. I have a feeling the carburetors need to be cleaned or rebuilt. Who's the best 2 cycle Mercury repair shop around eastern Nebraska?
                              Ended up being the Power Pack. It was only running on #1 & #4 cylinders and drank gas like a drunken sailor. I guess going through the extra gas is a telltale sign to start with the "pack" rather than the carbs.
                              Chubby

Comment

Working...
                              X