Boat shopping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat shopping

im thinking about buying a new aluminum boat. What size boat and engine do you guys recommend for fishing the Missouri River? Tia

I have not fished the Missouri myself, but the guy I bought my current boat from was an avid Missouri fisherman and waterfowler and very obviously knew what he was doing. He had an 18 foot aluminum boat with a 60 HP tiller-handle outboard for the Missouri. Said something along the lines of, "You don't want to be under-powered on the river..." about 17 times in an hour's conversation.

Comment

Lots of things go into a new boat purchase, and the primary body of water is one important consideration. As are: primary and secondary fishing style, recreational use (skiing, tubing, etc...), kids, budget, etc... Can you give us some more details and then we can offer some suggestions.

Comment

I have some experience in this, I went through the same process about 4 years ago. Are you mainly fishing for catfish? If so you want the live wells in the back of the boat not the front. Also NO CARPET. For the love of GOD you don't want any CARPET.. Sand, mud, slime and carpet don't mix. You will have to talk about hull. A deep V, a modified V, or a john boat type. I went with the Modified V for a little bit more stability with all the big boat traffic, but i will admit a flat bottom boat might might get me into skinnier water. I have 60HP motor and that works for me, of course I wanted something bigger, but budget was in play. I mainly anchor up, but if you want to drift you might need a bigger trolling motor. If had to do it all over I would get a G3 Sportsman 200. my boat is a Alumacraft 165 classic, I love it, but I already want to trade it in for a true river boat. Also you want the best electronics you can afford when financing. www.BigMuddyFishing.com
        Yes I am a Christian. I won't try to force it on you, but I will always promote dads being dads. That is one of the major focal points of my ministry. I believe if dads would just be dads, we would solve a good portion of the problems in our community. My dad was a dad and he took me fishing all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Anglers View Post
          Lots of things go into a new boat purchase, and the primary body of water is one important consideration. As are: primary and secondary fishing style, recreational use (skiing, tubing, etc...), kids, budget, etc... Can you give us some more details and then we can offer some suggestions.
          I'm looking to get back into fishing. I enjoyed cat fishing off the banks of the river and local eastern ne lakes. Those would be my primary bodies of water. All I want is a fishing boat. Kids are young and enjoy fishing with me. Not sure of a budget but I know I'd like to go new or buy used from a reputable shop. I've been burnt on boat engines in the past that have left me stranded in the water literally and I don't want to deal with that anymore.

Comment

These were the 2 I had in mind. It leaning more toward the tracker becusse I like the layout. I only catch and release so the only thing a livewell would be used for is live bait if that means much
            Attached Files

Comment

Had a bad experience trying to buy a boat from Cabelas. Went in with cash to buy a 17' modified v. Didn't have what I wanted in stock. Only way they would get one in is if I bought it. Someone else got my 15 grand. Good luck with what ever you get.
              Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I noticed that both of those boats are in the 13-15k range. IMO, the 15-20k range is the sweet spot for getting a whole lot of boat in the used market. Have the motor checked by a reliable mechanic and sleep better at night. I'd also pay close attention to the transom, that can be a really expensive repair if that is rotten.

2.5 years ago I found a Lund 1800 Pro V SE for $15k, came with 150hp motor, decent trolling motor and some electronics. I've since traded up but I'd take that boat back in a second.

I'm not sure the depth of water you intend to fish, but I'll echo that I'd much prefer to have a mod-v or deep v if wind and waves are going to be involved at all. If your going to be anchored, drift fishing, power drifting or trolling I'd look for a boat with pedestal seats so you can spin around to watch the back.

i like deeper boats when kids are involved but that might be an irrational concern.

If if you are debating on what electronics and trolling motor to get, spend less on the boat and make sure you get what you want. Just make sure you pair your technologies together. Lowrance/Motorguide or Humminbird/Minnkota. All make pretty good products now and being able to control the trolling motor from the console is unreal.

Screen size matters!

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
                  Had a bad experience trying to buy a boat from Cabelas. Went in with cash to buy a 17' modified v. Didn't have what I wanted in stock. Only way they would get one in is if I bought it. Someone else got my 15 grand. Good luck with what ever you get.
                  Keep it safe! JDL
                  My experience was not the best either..but we got it done, my next boat will not be from there..
                  Yes I am a Christian. I won't try to force it on you, but I will always promote dads being dads. That is one of the major focal points of my ministry. I believe if dads would just be dads, we would solve a good portion of the problems in our community. My dad was a dad and he took me fishing all the time.

Comment

You better google Tracker welds!

Comment

Originally posted by DonH View Post
                      Will do. This is the reason I'm asking for help from you experienced guys. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by DonH View Post
                        When I was in the market for a boat the review on the welds scared me off the tracker. I will say this, they sell a ton of boats, and the reviews might be skewed I have seen many of them on the river. I went with rivets.

Comment

I like Tracker Grizzly because they have thick hulls. Also, they come with a lifetime warranty.

Comment

I own a Crestliner Retriever, Bought new, and use it in the missouri river a lot. Drafts in 9" of water, very stable, works great. Bought it in Missouri, was about $6000 cheaper then omaha. My only regret is not getting a bigger motor, dont listen too them when they tell you "it will work" They told me a 25hp would work, I bought a 40 and wish it was a 60. Lesson learned for the next one!! It will go 30 mph but with 3 big guys has a hard time planing.

Comment

Originally posted by charlzton View Post
                              I like Tracker Grizzly because they have thick hulls. Also, they come with a lifetime warranty.
                              they have .100 hull and a 5 year warranty.
                              President Bowfishers of Nebraska

Comment

Working...
                              X