Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commission to consider changes to boating regulations

From the NGPC News Release:

LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission will consider at its Jan. 20 meeting a regulation amendment that would allow people to obtain boating safety certification via an online course. The meeting is at 8 a.m. in the third-floor conference room of the Commission’s Lincoln headquarters, 2200 N. 33rd St.

If passed, the amended regulation would help streamline boater education by increasing opportunities for constituents, while retaining the classroom and home-study options for obtaining certification.

Another boating regulation amendment up for consideration would update the maps in the Special Rules and Regulations for Nonpublic Lake Associations.

If they do the education through Boat-ed.com, then I wouldn't be opposed to it AT ALL. I took the course through the website 3 years ago because I didn't want to drive somewhere just to take a test and wanted to learn at my own pace. The NASBLA course was not 'approved' in Nebraska so I put down Missouri. I took the course over a 3 week period, probably a total of 30 hours were put into the course and I learned A LOT!! Started talking with Scott Eveland on here and he said that if I was a Missouri Resident and completed the course and came to Nebraska to boat that I would be legal but since I am a resident of Nebraska and took the course and put Missouri as the state, that it was not legal. He said I shouldn't have even been able to take the course.

I ended up taking the Nebraska course in September of 2015 down in Lincoln (the 8 hour course). We were in and out of there in about 4.5 hours and I can honestly say that I didn't even learn ONE thing during that course. My buddy came with me to the course in case he ever wanted to drive my boat. He told me he didn't really learn anything at the course either, he learned most of the info from me talking to him while out on the river. The lady who taught our course went over 90% of the questions that would be on the test and I think you needed an 80% to pass so it makes it so EVERYONE should pass the test.

When I say I didn't learn anything, I really didn't. I was the first person done and got a 100% on it. The Boat-ed.com course is much more thorough and I think that is how Nebraska needs to go about all boater safety certifications should be done from here on out.

Comment

What does that last paragraph of the news release mean?
      When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

I have been an Boating Safety instructor for several years and I am a retired teacher that has worked with on-line courses and I would support any change to move the course on-line. There has been some concern about on-line courses, but if a person can get a PhD on line, we should be able have an on-line course for boating safety. There are several courses on-line, It could be simple for Nebraska to use one that is already developed.

Comment

If the regulation change is approved, then online vendors would be chosen and contracted with. There are several that are NASBLA-approved, including boat.ed.com. Boat-ed currently provides the online study materials for the Option B courses, as does boaterexam.com. They both provide those free-of-charge, but presumably would charge if they are chosen as vendors for the testing/certification component. Our network of staff and volunteer instructors will continue to offer in-person classes as the demand dictates.

As I told milesej05 previously, if a person has a concern about the quality of instruction they received from a volunteer instructor, they should share their concerns with Herb Angell, Boating Law Administrator in Lincoln. 402-471-5579. We have dozens of instructors across the state, many of whom I have trained and sat in on classes with, who deliver a high quality educational program and have a dedication to ensuring that the people they share the waters with are safe.

Fish On , the final paragraph is in regards to the regulations for non-public lake, or what some people call "private" lakes. There are a number of them in central and eastern Nebraska that have rules adopted by their HOA/Lake Association for boating on the lakes. State regulations allow those rules to be adopted into regulations. Those regulations are also found in the same Title and many include maps of directional control, no wake zones, etc. The revisions will standardize all those maps from a GIS project.

As always, the entire regulation process and proposals are viewable online at https://www.nebraska.gov/nesos/rules...rack/index.cgi
          Last edited by Scott Eveland; 01-17-2017, 09:40 AM.
          -----------------------------------------
          -My computer, my time, my opinions

Comment

All the regulation changes were approved by the Commission. They are pending approval by the Secretary of State and the Governor. Once that happens, the state can enter into agreements with the third-party vendors who offer online courses. So expect to see online-only courses available in the next few months. I'll keep people updated here when available.

In the meantime, our volunteer instructors are lining up classes across the state for those who prefer either of the two in-person options. They are being added to the calendar available at www.BoatSafeNebraska.org

Scott

Comment

thanks Scott

Comment

are online classes offered yet in Nebraska or are they still pending?

Comment

Originally posted by crappie_eyes View Post
                  are online classes offered yet in Nebraska or are they still pending?
                  So far it is still just Option A (full classroom) or Option B (online study with in-person exam). There is some sort of holdup with securing a third-party vendor to do the online testing. I have no idea when that contract will be done.

Comment

thanks Scott

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, thanks for the info scott

Comment

I've been told it should be up and running by the end of the month! I'll keep ya'll posted.

Comment

Nebraska Game and Parks offering online boater education

LINCOLN, Neb. — The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission has begun offering an online boater education course.

The course, which is available beginning June 19 at OutdoorNebraska.org/boatereducation, will allow students to take the course wherever and whenever is convenient for them. Game and Parks will continue to offer classroom boater education courses across the state, for those who prefer to learn in a more traditional setting.

In Nebraska, anyone born after Dec. 31, 1985 is required to successfully complete a boater education and possess a course certificate while operating a boat or personal watercraft.

Boater education courses teach students how to safely operate a motorized boat while following all rules and regulations. Topics covered include navigation and safe operation, Nebraska laws and emergency preparedness. Nonresidents who have successfully completed a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators-approved boater safety course recognized by another state are allowed to operate a motorboat in Nebraska.

You must be at least 14 years of age to operate a motorboat or personal watercraft in Nebraska.

Comment

Is it legal to fish a pit on private property that can be accessed by boat from the Platte River? Just need to make sure of this. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by minnowmaker View Post
                              Is it legal to fish a pit on private property that can be accessed by boat from the Platte River? Just need to make sure of this. Thanks...
                              If you are fishing private property, you will need landowner permission, regardless of how you access the property.

Comment

• minnowmaker
                                minnowmaker commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Even if the Platte River runs into the pit and can be entered in a boat? Just making sure. Thanks.

• Scott Eveland
                                Scott Eveland commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Where does the river end and the pit start? Is the pit part of the river or not? Are you boat fishing or bank fishing? There are a lot of variables.

You would probably be best to consult any local legal authorities (county attorney) to see how they would interpret that.
                            Working...
                            X