Flatheads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatheads

Ive read that flats prefer live bait over cut bait. And I know that they primarily live in the rivers and larger lakes. Are there any lakes around Omaha that have flatheads in them? Ive heard that Two Rivers has some but Ive only pulled out channels.
    I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do.

We target flatheads a lot out here, and when we do, we use the liveliest bait we can find. You'll still catch a flathead occasionally with cut bait or a crank, but if you're targeting them specifically, you'll want to use live bait. They are the biggest predators out there. If I lived down there, I'd be fishing the Missouri river like you wouldn't believe.

Comment

yeah, they do prefer live bait like blugills,goldfish,creekchubs or what not. last year i think all the flathead we caught were on cut bait kind of strange. the fish in my avatar was caught on a big piece of drum while chasing them bruiser blues.. hope this helps any
      PROUD MEMBER OF THE SOUTHEAST NEBRASKA THROWNETTERS ASSOC.

Comment

Wherspan has some Flatheads, and Channel Cat. I have got some good hits on live bluegills. A good spot to fish at Wherspan is along the sides of the submerged road. There are some ditches that really produce.

Zorinsky as I understand it has some more elusive Flatheads.

However, as most people in this post have stated fishing a river access point is going to be your best bet. Live or Cut. :zCofferIntheMorning
        Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
        Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.

Comment

I've heard that there at flatties in both Z and W, but never caught one there, but I've also never targeted them there either. BO obviously has flatheads. Don't think that a big 10" white perch is too big, or an 8" gill, or a 15" carp...... Flatheads will eat what ever they can get in their mouths.

I've only fished the Mo a few times, so can't really help there.

Kenny, I don't know how big your cat rods are, but make sure they are at least "heavy" action. I won't fish BO for flatheads on anything less. Both of mine are spooled with 20lb test fireline.
          Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone, but never forgotten!

Comment

They can be caught on cheese too. How many time in a fishes life do they get a chance to sample some of the finer cheeses out there? Gorgonzola works great, or spray some cheez-wiz on your live bait of choice.

Comment

Goldfish work decent, as well as small carp

but the big money bait is 7-9 inch white bass, on one of these

and more times than not, it will produce one of these:

A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

Comment

i've seen krusty pull a heck of flattie out of zorinsky!

Comment

Working...
                X