Red/White Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red/White Game

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on the game. I took my son to his first game, and I would've emptied the bank account just for the look on his face the whole time. It was awesome to see a packed house for a practice game. Just shows you that Big Red was ready for this ushering in of a new era. Dr. Tom seemed excited, I saw a lady crying when Frost was preparing to run out onto the field, and the eruption of cheers as he did was deafening. I did however, hate the remake of Come Together, for a Tunnel Walk song. Everyone knows it should be Sirius. I don't know who made that decision, but if they aren't careful they might be yelling, "Runzas! We've got hot Runzas here!" during the game.

Just my observations of the game play:
    Pros
    - We have an offensive genius at the helm. Which most were aware of after seeing what Frost did at Oregon and UCF.
    - Very fast paced offense, which according to Frost "wasn't fast enough".
    - I think we have 3 talented RB's. Bell has some serious speed, Wilbon much faster laterally than last year, and Ozigbo has a serious amount of heart. He was playing like he wanted to be there.
    - We may have another Martinez running the offense. He is fast and can throw.
    - Gebbia isn't nearly as fast but threw really well.
    - The D is faster and is much better at swarming to the ball.

Cons
    - I still hate the 3-4 defense. The only time there was ever good penetration is when backers were blitzing. That defensive scheme works for Alabama because they have the best athletes in the country begging to play there. I just don't think we have the personnel to pull that off for a while.
    - There is no depth. Between both lines, we may be screwed if they continue to be plagued by injuries. Hopefully the return to REAL strength and conditioning will remedy some of that.

For the first time in years, I'm truly excited for the upcoming season.

In my mind Martinez is "the guy". For being a freshman that didnt play any his senior year, he is doing really well. He's not great but he definitely could be. He has the skills. You could see it on Saturday. He just needs to get back into it.

I see the potential for big improvement on both sides of the ball. I think it will be a fun season although a tough season. Hopefully, they will hit 7 wins this year. I would be happy with that. I think they can do it if things click early enough.
    NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• michael.magorian
      michael.magorian commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you could be right. That kid has some real talent. I think Gebbia looked really comfortable too. I would have liked to have seen Vedral do a little more, but he might not play next season anyway.

Awesome pics!!!

Was fun to watch on TV.

Make Nebraska great again!!!
    Did I say that outloud??

Kill'em & Grill'em!!!!!!!

Comment

I saw that they are picked to have another losing season with their schedule.
      They have cometh

Comment

• JKL
        JKL commented
        Editing a comment
        I imagine that could happen. I would be disappointed but not surprised. They have a lot to fix on that team.

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
      Are these the same folks that said the BB team would be dead last in B10? Most journalist don't know their taint from their elbow...
      When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish On View Post

Are these the same folks that said the BB team would be dead last in B10? Most journalist don't know their taint from their elbow...
        Baseball or basktball? :D

Comment

• Fish On
          Fish On commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I was referring to the basketball team.

Originally posted by JKL View Post
        I see the potential for big improvement on both sides of the ball.
        Well, they couldn't have gotten worse, lol. Might be the understatement of the year!

One thing that upsets me is people thinking the fan base is on fire because they are losing. That is a big part but, the problem isn't just losing, it is redoing everything that worked then stinking up the field in the process. Changing the tunnel walk would be the most tone-deaf change the administration could make, pun intended!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
          But these are the same clowns touting the SEC year after year, and then act all surprised when the B1G does really well in the bowl games. There really are only 4 good teams on that schedule that really should beat NE. There are a couple others that could, but we will see.

Originally posted by Mntn Man View Post
          That is a big part but, the problem isn't just losing, it is redoing everything that worked then stinking up the field in the process.
          I never could understand why unproven clown, after unproven clown came to Lincoln trying to reinvent the wheel. When NE was the most successful there were several constants that cannot be ignored.

- Strength and conditioning a priority. Boyd Epley came up with Husker Power in 1969, and started a dynasty.
          - Walk-on program. It kept NE high school football players hoping that hard work and dedication could ultimately pay off with a chance at wearing the crimson and cream. (Jeff and Joel Mackovicka, Jared Tomich, and Barron Miles were all walk ons)
          - Discipline. Most of the 90's, NE averaged in 40's for penalty yards in a game. Now, the offensive line averages more than that alone.

Comment

It was some group (not journalists) that predicts teams win/loss probabilities. They were dead on a high percentage of the time for alot of teams, not just NU.
            They have cometh

Comment

• michael.magorian
              michael.magorian commented
              Editing a comment
              The only thing I have found is from ESPN predicting a 6-6 season, which I wouldn't say is out of the realm of possibilities. I don't care if they go 0-12 as long as they look like they are trying to win. I'm not expecting Frost to fix the world, but I expect to see a lot better football.

I only watched the first half but here's my observations: Our OL have ARMS again! They found the weight room. Zach Duvall, trained by Boyd Epley from an early age, earned his paycheck! Really curious to see who the starting 5 are there. Don't sleep on A Bunch he's better than you think! Still a two-man race for QB between Gebbia & Martinez despite what the OWH wants everyone to think. G Bell looked good but so did Wilbon. Jack Stoll coming up fast! We got some playmakers at wideouts. Unleash Tyjon, & McQuitty that kid could be something. And the best two receivers we got didn't even play! Wait til Frost gets used to what they can do in a game setting, then starts pushing buttons!! And then the tempo, wasn't great Sat but once the kids really learn it, hoo boy!!
            Can't emphasize how much better this 3-4 scheme looks than the last DC's 3-4 scheme. The aggressiveness, guys flying around. IF they get a few stops and a few turnovers & sacks, as opposed to the none of last season, the D will be waaay better. Liked P Newell FINALLY on the DL. Will Honas, prediction, will lead the team in tackles. D Young surprised me. We need Breaon Dixon, MS transfer, to be eligible right away. He can play.
            Going to hold off on my season prediction til closer to non-con BUT just looking at the schedule 6-6 minimum, 7-5 definitely doable, 8-4 quite reachable. Lets hope they get WORK done this summer!!!

Comment

Working...
            X