Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He's back!!! Scott Frost: The myth, the man, the legend!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee, the offense at Oregon seemed to do play when he was there...now UCF went from 0-12 to undefeated (yes I know the AAC isn't the B1G), but think of everything that goes into changing a program in the manner he did. If he can turn UCF around, I don't see why the Huskers will be any different.
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

There is no doubt Frost has a good offense. I would be concerned about the defense. They (UCF) were not high in the rankings this year, however, the offense was able to outscore everyone. Will be interesting see how things play out.
      Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

Originally posted by Steve81 View Post
        I don't get this "Frost has proven himself wherever he goes" mantra. Sure, he turned around a bad UCF team. That is certainly something to be proud of but that conference (AAC?) is not even remotely close to what it's going to be like in the B1G. I see recruiting being his biggest hurdle. Nebraska football has been under the shade of mediocrity since a few years before leaving the Big 12. That's a tough sale to get high caliber recruits interested in.

Personally, I like the Frost hire. I think he was the best AVAILABLE option and is a great fit. I'm just worried that he won't get the time that he needs to truly make a difference.

By the way, just so you guys don't think I'm some NU hating Iowa fan, I'm not. I'm an Oklahoma fan and wish you guys would have never left the conference. Screw Texas!
        Steve, I have always said that if the Huskers never existed, I probably would have been either an Oklahoma or Wisconsin fan. I love smash mouth football. I wish NE would have stayed with the Big 12 too, but Texas has ruined that conference permanently. Look how many teams have left because of the policies put in place to benefit the Texas teams when they bribed them to join the conference. The Longhorn Channel? Should have been the S***iest Team in the Big 12 Channel. You know, if OU joined the B1G it would make it impossible for the conference champion to ever be left out of the playoffs.

NE's recruiting has never been an issue. They have recruited a better class than WI every year. Their issue is athlete development, and much of that stemmed from down playing the need for the strength program. Boyd Epley started that program back in 1969, and look at what happened to the program right after that. NE has consistently played their best games at the beginning of the season, and then plateau because they play paddy cake in practice, do not push the old Husker Power program, and let the kids run around with a sense of entitlement. I'm not saying Frost is going to wave a magic wand and all will be better, but it's going to be an improvement from Riley.

Comment

If you're so inclined, check out the Big Red Cobcast w/ Charlie McBride on huskermax.com. It was a bit of an eye opener and confirmed some suspicions I had about the Huskers under Riley.

Comment

Originally posted by michael.magorian View Post

Steve, I have always said that if the Huskers never existed, I probably would have been either an Oklahoma or Wisconsin fan. I love smash mouth football. I wish NE would have stayed with the Big 12 too, but Texas has ruined that conference permanently. Look how many teams have left because of the policies put in place to benefit the Texas teams when they bribed them to join the conference. The Longhorn Channel? Should have been the S***iest Team in the Big 12 Channel. You know, if OU joined the B1G it would make it impossible for the conference champion to ever be left out of the playoffs.

NE's recruiting has never been an issue. They have recruited a better class than WI every year. Their issue is athlete development, and much of that stemmed from down playing the need for the strength program. Boyd Epley started that program back in 1969, and look at what happened to the program right after that. NE has consistently played their best games at the beginning of the season, and then plateau because they play paddy cake in practice, do not push the old Husker Power program, and let the kids run around with a sense of entitlement. I'm not saying Frost is going to wave a magic wand and all will be better, but it's going to be an improvement from Riley.
            Not being a Nebraska follower, I wasn't aware how much had changed as far as the program itself. That's sad about the strength program. How that can ever be unappreciated in a football program is beyond me.

I know must of us that are fans of the Big 12 are pretty fed up with the conference. We thought there would finally be some good change when they took a serious look at adding a couple of teams last year. It felt like a betrayal when the big wigs misplaced their stones and backed out of the idea at the last minute. By and large, the Big 12 has been playing second fiddle in a good year to the SEC or third or 4th behind everyone else ever since Nebraska and Co. left the conference. Realignment is inevitable and I'm wishing for something similar to the good ole Big 8 days but with a bit more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimdog View Post
              If you're so inclined, check out the Big Red Cobcast w/ Charlie McBride on huskermax.com. It was a bit of an eye opener and confirmed some suspicions I had about the Huskers under Riley.
              The podcast really sheds light on the problems that doomed this coaching staff. I think that the folks thinking Frost will be crucified don't really understand the logic of firing the coaches that never should have been hired in the first place because they don't see all the criteria. It's not wins and losses alone. You abandon that which is the identity of the program and lose horribly, you are going to be fired. You subscribe to the culture and put a product out that represents the state, you will get some leeway. Losing is not the worst if you give your best effort. Pelini would still be here if he and Eichorst hadn't gone to war and he wanted to be here. Once he decided it was better to get fired, there was no pulling back his out of control demeanor.

Frost has the most fan support of any coach after the firing of Solich that in itself never had anything close to universal appeal. Pederson started this spiral and I think Frost is the best candidate to pull us out. That does not mean he is a sure thing. I am pulling for him, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimdog View Post
                Listened to the first half of it, got worked up enough I had to stop. Crazy...
                Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by Mntn Man View Post

Pederson started this spiral and I think Frost is the best candidate to pull us out. That does not mean he is a sure thing. I am pulling for him, though.
                  Mntn Man, I think you are on the right track, but I think one has to look higher than an AD. Harvey Pearlman hired Steve Pederson to fire Solich (almost a 10 win/season average), then the entire state demanded Tom Osborne replace Pederson, who in turn fired Bill Callahan (almost a 7win average) and hired Bo Pelini (9 win average); Pearlman then hires Eichorst who fires Pelini, and hires Riley (6 win average). In 2016, Pearlman steps down as chancellor and is replaced by Ronnie Green. Green goes out and hires a real AD with an AD background of note.

I really think if you want to find the poison of the athletic program, you have to look at Harvey Pearlman. He had two bad hires from Pittsburgh and Miami, which do not exemplify Husker tradition and both wanted to make names for themselves.

Comment

• Mntn Man
                    Mntn Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I agree with that 100%

Should be an obvious case study for Organizational Behavior classes at UNL
                  Peace and Love

Comment

Like I've said before I just hope the fan base gives Frost time and enough room to do his own thing and mold the program back to what it should be. Listen Folks 60-3 ain't EVER happening again. Thats why is the best 5 year stretch in the history of college football. Its unprecedented, which means its never happened before. Its seems like Husker fan keeps searching for the next Tom Osborne. Thats not happening either. The OWH had an article Sun with 20 facts on Osborne on the 20th anniversary of his retirement announcement. Look up that article and those facts and it will AMAZE you. Among them:
                    -Osborne won 92% of his games against Top Ten teams! 92%!
                    -The avg margin of victory against those Top Ten teams was 21 pts! He blew out Top Ten teams!
                    -Osborne was 15-1-1 against the vaunted SEC! Yes that means you Bama, Aub, FLA & LSU.
                    -He won EVERY home game in the last 5 seasons.
                    -Osborne's 3 Natty teams were undefeated. Of Nick Satans uh Sabans 5 nattys only one team has been undefeated.
                    -Osborne NEVER won LESS than 9 games or lost more than 3 games in ANY season he coached.
                    The article and the facts make a case of Osborne being among the greatest if not the greatest college football coach of all time. The point here is yes Frost played under Osborne, learned under him and was mentored by TO but Scott Frost is Scott Frost not Tom Osborne and Tom Osborne isn't coming back to coach. All we can hope for is that Frost can be the best Frost and hopefully come close to the records Osborne set for NU.

Comment

If Moos is AD then Frost has all the time he needs. If somehow the leadership changes in the next 3 years then all bets are off.

Comment

If Scott Frost can survive the first five years at Nebraska......if he can RECRUIT.........I can see him doing 20 to life....no problem.
                        Yall aint from round here is you?

Comment

Coach of the Year! Very prestigous award. I think some recruits will pay attention to that.
                          Yall aint from round here is you?

Comment

Go big red!

Geez didn't get to yell that all season, almost had to whisper it so nobody would mock me.

Now I can yell again.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X