New AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New AD

Well that certainly didn't take long! Three weeks or so and we have a new hire. I don't know much about him but his resume seems to be fairly impressive. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks/months as far as any other changes in the ranks.
    Nebraska’s found its next athletic director, and the school convinced a man to leave his alma mater to take the job.
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

So did all the old NU players turn it down or did they even get asked?

They have cometh

Comment

I'm guessing they weren't asked. The hiring firm/powers-at-be seem to be of the opinion to look outside the Husker family. Looking strictly at his resume, he's been a proven AD, which might have been more important to them than someone with Husker connections.
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Now to find new coaches.
        They have cometh

Comment

Im not concerned at all about finding someone that is part of Husker history. I just want them to hire the best people for the job. Its very limiting when you focus on "Huskers". It would be great if the hires have Husker roots, but honestly, that shouldn't be given too much consideration when searching.
          NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

With the way OSU HANDLED the current Husker players on both sides of the line, the problem may be more of a recruitment problem than a coaching/teaching problem.

Our Huskers simply put... were manhandled.

Time to "build" our players like back in the day. Corn & beef with a shot of horse juice on the side...

(tic)
            H
            Report Fish/Game Violations:
            1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post
              With the way OSU HANDLED the current Husker players on both sides of the line, the problem may be more of a recruitment problem than a coaching/teaching problem.

Time to "build" our players like back in the day. Corn & beef with a shot of horse juice on the side...

(tic)
              H
              I think you hit the nail on the head Harold, but how can recruitment for a s*** team improve if the possible recruits see no sign of improvement? If I were an exceptional high school player, what incentive is there to go to NE? The chance to play for a team that has no chance of seeing a conference championship, with a 100% change of getting humiliated on national television at least once during a season, and maybe if the stars align, might have the chance to play Wayne State College in the We're Just Happy to be Here Bowl ?

Best case scenario, Moos hires Les Miles for 4 years, to bring back some consistency and respect, and hopefully Scott Frost would still consider being a part of the team in the future. Look at what he's done with UCF, and look what has happened Oregon since he left. I wouldn't fire Mike Riley, just make him walk around the stadium at every game shaking people's hands, and hope he quits so UNL doesn't have to pay him anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post

(tic)
                H
                How do explain losing to Nortern Illinois? You can recruit all the four and five star recruits you want but if you can't coach and motivate it won't do much good. There really is too much emphasis put on stars. Nebraska out recruits Wisconsin every year. They out recruit Iowa every year. They still lose because of poor coaching and motivation. Watching the tunnel walk Saturday they were beat before they started playing.
                Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see.

Comment

• Harold
                  Harold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the case of the Northern Illinois debacle, the "better team" was simply outperformed. While I believe our Husker recruits have fallen below the "top thirty" threshold in Division I College Football, their depth provides opportunities the lower half of the Division lacks. Still, money (full recruitment classes) keeps our Huskers from falling much further.

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
                Now to find new coaches.
                Can't wait for the Pirate to get here!

Comment

I'm not sure NU fans could handle him. However, if he can bring titles, I bet they could tolerate him. Without a top notch coach, NU is gonna have issues for the future. I don't see Frost coming here this quickly or NU wanting a coach without a proven record of more than a season or two.
                  They have cometh

Comment

Its rumored that Frost has privately expressed interest in the coaching job at Nebraska. Dont know how true that is, but its floating around out there.
                    NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
                      I don't see Frost coming here this quickly or NU wanting a coach without a proven record of more than a season or two.
                      For his sake, I hope he doesn't take the job right away. This program is going to be in rough shape for several years now, and he is looking like a very good, up and coming head coach. Hopefully he doesn't jeopardize that stepping into this mess. I would love to see him 5 years down the road after some rebuilding, and stepping into the shoes of a veteran head coach that is retiring.

Comment

• Harold
                        Harold commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh, you mean like a guy in his 60's that may want to coach only one more team before he retires? Looks like a plan in the works... without the success expected up to this point! To bad... Mike Riley MIGHT HAVE made a good AD had the other job been successful...

• michael.magorian
                        michael.magorian commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Harold, I would bet money that was the original plan, but Riley cannot lead a team that is expected to compete for conference championships. The only thing I don't like about hiring Bill Moos is his age. What does it say about the future of the position if you hire a 66 yr. old to take over the entire athletic program? So in a few years, they are going to hire another good ol' boy because Moos has decided he has made enough money and wants to relax? I still think they should have made Riley the AD and hired Les Miles myself.

I don't think anyone should base how good of a head coach he is until he's been a head coach for more time.
                      They have cometh

Comment

Well a new AD was a good start. It's a start. Need to clean house and start over with rest of football crew.
                        Yes we tout our best recruits but did you see where more than half of kids suited up to start never received an offer from any of the power five conf schools?
                        WI teams lately had lower ranked overall recruiting classes than ours were...but their coaches recognize the strengths and weaknesses and make it work well and consistently year after year against us and other teams they play. We can't even seem to find our strengths to beat the bottom half of our side of our own conf consistently. And ours isn't even the better half of the conf.
                        We need coaches that can coach with what they have in front of them to work with.
                        oh and a little passion on the sidelines would be great too. Get kids fired up to play. Riley may be a nice guy but we need a coach not mr Rogers.
                        I love the AG background the new AD has. Nothing like a good sound work ethic that brings. He should fit in well here. Saw a lot of posts from schools he came from, that miss him. It's been years since we ever said gee I miss our AD.
                        GBR!
                        Jim

Comment

Nebraska needs to spend some of that big money for GOOD coaches. Paying mid range salaries will get you mid range coaches.
                          NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                          X