Garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden thread

Don't know if anybody has started one, or if there's enough interest to sustain one. Mine is finally coming to life, was just "in neutral" for a spell this cool, rainy spring. Have been getting good rhubarb for a month or so, also eating radishes and zucchini. Have a few baby cucumbers that I'm watching with anticipation. Tomatoes are about 3' high with lots of blossoms. Green beans (pole) are finally growing, looks like we'll have a good crop of those. Peppers are growing now, need some heat, sun! Have hot peppers and bell peppers; wife makes stuffed bell peppers that are "to die" for. How's your vegetable garden doing?

we planted cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, peppers and a few other plants. i was excited for the cayenne peppers, actually all the peppers....for the purpose of stuffing them....but either deer or the rain wiped 'em out. other than that, things are looking good.
    "I have the impression the American sportsman is puzzled; he doesn't understand what is happening to him. Bigger and better gadgets are good for industry so why not outdoor recreation? It has not dawned on him that outdoor recreations are essentially primitive, atavistic; that their value is a contrast value; that excessive mechanization destroys contrasts by moving the factory to the woods or to the marsh." -Aldo Leopold

Comment

Doing a 40 by 40 garden this year. Volunteering to do it at Stuhr Museum. Started from scratch and finally have it going well. Previously was full of weeds. Mixing in wild flowers also as Museum personnel asked if we would do that for visitors. We really enjoying working it as has been a few years since we have been gardening when sold our home. We have sunflowers along back fence and four other corner plots of wild flowers. Will take couple years to really establish wild flowers. Have planted potatoes and sweet potatoes, green bush beans, green climber beans, peas ( kinda stagnent right now), radishes and space for replanting all summer), 13 tomatoes mixed hybrids and vintage, squash, zuccni, cantalope, gords, two varieties of sweet corn, carrots (slow right now), peppers, lettuce, and several other vegetables. Much of it we started from seed instead of transplanted plants. Everything just sat there for a long time because of weather but now most really taking off. We left space for mid summer planting as not to have all vegs come on at once. A mix of vintage and hybrid planting. Since the garden suppose to be a replica of older times we stake all tomato plants with cut limb branches three feet high placed in a triangle around tomatos and supported by older replica twine. Mix in straw and hay for weed control. Any fertilizer used is organic only. When working out there this ole guy puts on his coveralls and straw hat and go at it as does wife in her attire. Been alot of fun, hard work but enjoyable. Everyone is invited out to look when visiting Stuhr Museum and our garden is located at the ole farm on west side. Glad to have all out as a fun place to volunteer! Say hi if you stop by out there and we're working. Grab a veg you like when they're ready for picking.
      Dreaming is my reality...fishing my passion
      Got enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life!!-Churchill

At Age 68 I Passed the NE Boater Safety Course!! I Feel Pretty Darn Good Doing That!! (That was five years ago)!

Comment

We've got a rogue onion growing in the bottom of our fridge...does that count as a garden? :xGoofey:

Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Great thread!
          My garden was stuck in neutral for about a month as well, but everything looks pretty good know. We went with tomatoes, a couple different kinds of peppers, cucumbers, red potatoes, egg plant, and a couple different types of onions. Going to try our hand at canning some tomatoes and making some different sauces/salsa as well.
          "Hey lizard, am I standing in poop?"

Comment

Here is our whole garden 2 tomatoes 2 bell peppers

The prize

Comment

:eusa_drool:Dang...I've got a few more weeks yet before I could even start to think about a vine ripened tomato.:eusa_drool:

Comment

I left for the weekend to watch the nascar race in k.c. told the wife to keep an eye on things. When I got home two days later the garden was covered in 4 inches of water, no joke I measured it! It turns out while I was gone the hogs broke the waterer! Suprisingly enough the garden survived and looks great!M_S_yelrotflmao:

Comment

Only thing I planted this yr was a pound of asparagus seed. Did you know there are about 10,000 seeds in a pound. Well needless to say after they finally sprouted I have two 20' x 30' plots that look like my lawn with asparagus. I hope it makes it through to next yr.

Comment

Cougar, it sounds like you will be eating asapargus every day for months in a few years, it's going to make your urine smell funny. :razz:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4586963...ine-smell.html
                    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

Love a nice home garden. Had a big one growing up on the farm. Unfortunately we have too many trees at our place in town, have tried every corner of the yard, and can't get enough sun to make a nice one work. Next place we settle into we'll be keeping that in mind.
                      NEFGA is endorsed by Pond Boss

Get all your pond questions answered by the experts at Pond Boss!

Comment

Cool garden thread! We've been eating leaf lettuce and spinach salads for a couple-three weeks, spinach is starting to seed out already so its pretty much done. Green onions are coming along and cilantro just exploded lately. I have one or two salsa peppers getting big. Cherry toms are popping but it will be a couple weeks before they turn red. Nothing doing on the bell pepps yet.
                        Hey Vikes can't beat that fresh garden salsa! Have you made it before? I usually do 3-4 batches a season. I could eat it on chips and beers all day on Saturdays!!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntges11 View Post
                          Hey Vikes can't beat that fresh garden salsa! Have you made it before? I usually do 3-4 batches a season. I could eat it on chips and beers all day on Saturdays!!
                          I hear that! Started many of the 11:00 am early Gopher football game kick-offs with a full jar only to find an empty one by the primetime ABC game.

This is the first year my wife and I will be canning...although my folks have been canning various things for years. My mom came upon a recipe for salsa last year that the whole family went nuts for...along with her speghetti sauce as well. Can't wait till I got some jars in the cupboard.

Comment

We have a blackberry bush at the front of the house that yielded 6 berries last year. So we're not quite ready for Armaggaedon just yet.
                            NEFGA is endorsed by Pond Boss

Get all your pond questions answered by the experts at Pond Boss!

Comment

So you're not contracting for Smuckers for jelly just yet Omaha?

Vikes- I do the pico del gallo for the first few batches. Only cuz I like to adjust the heat each time with the jals or chili's. That way I can just toss em in without cooking or boiling it. Aside from salt, maybe cumin and lemon/lime juice everything is from the garden.

Comment

Working...
                              X