Dog Seizures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Seizures

I have a six year old female black lab, Bella, and she had a pretty bad seizure last night, It got to the point that I had my wife call the vet while I was protecting her from hitting her head on the floor or furniture.While she was on the phone with the vet Bella just snapped out of it like nothing happened at all. He asked about the brand of food we feed her, the possibility of her ingesting chemicals or medication and none of these three were a factor. She wasn't stressed at the time as a matter of fact she was snoozing in her bed in front of the fire place. I am going to call my regular vet this morning and see what she thinks but just wanted to see if anyone else on the forum has had a similar experience with their lab and what you did to treat or prevent them from reocurring. Scared the heck out of us and it was heart breaking to see her go through that.
    SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

I had a lab that at as a 1 yo started having seizures. He'd be running and collapse on the ground. It turns out he had a bad heart valve and every time his blood pressure would get above a certain point he'd go down. The vet had three options: Surgery ($20,000+); not ever again let Buddy off a lead so his heart wouldn't race; or the third choice...
    " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Sorry about that! I called and talked to our vet and she is going to do some baseline blood work and then it becomes a monitoring process. She said that she is not real concerned about just one episode but wants to make sure everything else is OK. She also said that kidney problems and diabetes can sometimes trigger seizures. So we will see what if anything they find.I hope it's not anything as serious as your lab had.
      SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Comment

I will be including You and Bella in my Prayers! Good Luck!

Comment

• rbhunter
          rbhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, much appreciated!!

Good luck! I know the investment of love that we give to our furry family members!
        Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I had a brittany that started doing the same on a consistent basis around 6 years old. Come to find out, his heart was in the wrong position which caused his liver to not grow to it's natural size. Moved him to a prescription based diet that I could get through the vet. after about 6 months they subsided to maybe once a year and he lived and hunted hard until he was almost 14 years old before he developed cancer and I had to put him down.

Comment

Working...
          X