LT vs P Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed LT vs P Tires

We own a 2005 Chevy Silverado crew cab, 4wd pickup and need new tires.

The placard on the door shows P265/70R17 tires. We currently have a set of Cooper Discoverer LT tires. We don't haul anything insanely heavy, lawn waste to the dump, a boat a few times a year, a trailer from time to time.

I haven't been impressed with the Coopers, curious what others use on similar vehicles. I'm going back and forth between spending the extra on the LT rates tires or not.
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

I've got the same truck. Stay away from Goodyear_Wrangler Sr-A. I've had them for 30K and I'm taking them off this fall..poor snow, ice and wet pavement traction. You can sit on wet pavement and leave from a stoplight and spin them. And that's not flooring it by any means. Knowing how fast they slip, I feather the throttle from stops. I used to like the Coopers 15 years ago on my tahoe, but haven't been impressed since the very last set I bought and stopped buying them.

I've always used the LT over P because I do haul enclosed trailers, throw a yards of mulch, dirt or rock in the back every year multiple times.

I'm currently looking at the Goodyear Trailrunner AT. Good reviews and scores on Tirerack.com, but with limited number of miles under the reports due to it being a new tire. I know the non-LT tire that is the same for our Suburban is about $20 cheaper. However, I will probably put the LTs on that vehicle too due to heavy enclosed trailers and the added tire strength when I drive into a corn field hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by scotcl View Post
      I've got the same truck. Stay away from Goodyear_Wrangler Sr-A. I've had them for 30K and I'm taking them off this fall..poor snow, ice and wet pavement traction. You can sit on wet pavement and leave from a stoplight and spin them. And that's not flooring it by any means. Knowing how fast they slip, I feather the throttle from stops. I used to like the Coopers 15 years ago on my tahoe, but haven't been impressed since the very last set I bought and stopped buying them.

I've always used the LT over P because I do haul enclosed trailers, throw a yards of mulch, dirt or rock in the back every year multiple times.

I'm currently looking at the Goodyear Trailrunner AT. Good reviews and scores on Tirerack.com, but with limited number of miles under the reports due to it being a new tire. I know the non-LT tire that is the same for our Suburban is about $20 cheaper. However, I will probably put the LTs on that vehicle too due to heavy enclosed trailers and the added tire strength when I drive into a corn field hunting.
      I've been looking at the Trailrunners LT as well. Leaning heavily toward LT just because of the multiple uses our pickup serves.
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

You should get a little better MPG with the P over the LT as they are a lot lighter. You'll get a better tread warranty too with the P's. From the uses you mentioned P would be fine in my opinion. Mine is on a Jeep Wrangler rather than a truck though, but I went with the new Cooper AT3 4S tire in the P version since it only pulls a 16 ft boat and the rest of the time cruising around. If you do much off-roading you would want the LTs though.

Agree with above on staying away from the Goodyear SRA's.
        Did I say that outloud??

Kill'em & Grill'em!!!!!!!

Comment

Whatever you decide, look at tirebuyer.com before buying. They have great prices and fast shipping. I bought from them and had a local installer put them on and the tires were about $150 less than I could buy from that installer.
          They have cometh

Comment

My Silverado came with SRAs. Unsafe in all but perfectly dry conditions. Can't wait to get them off.

Was told Cooper A/T3 was the way to go. But now I'm split between those and the Cooper ATP. I commute to work every day in it. But need to cross pastures and get through the junk too.

Did you ever pick your tire FN?

Comment

I put Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my Silverado that was my daily driver but still had enough grab for driving in the bad stuff. They worked well for me while I had them, only put maybe 10,000 miles on them before I traded it in but held up well while I had them.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post
                Did you ever pick your tire FN?
                We went with a set of used Yokohama Geolanders. Wasn't what I was planning, but they were about 2/3 tread life and $100 for the set of four. Got them mounted last week and have been impressed so far. The real test will be this weekend antelope hunting after all the rain/snow we have gotten this week.

Comment

Can't pass a deal like that. Good luck on speed goats! I was out by Crawford chasing them with bows just over a week ago. Snowed and rained as we got there, we barely made it to Toadstool pulling a trailor, roads were total slop.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post
                    Can't pass a deal like that. Good luck on speed goats! I was out by Crawford chasing them with bows just over a week ago. Snowed and rained as we got there, we barely made it to Toadstool pulling a trailor, roads were total slop.
                    Thank you! We are excited for sure! This is a first for us so I'm hopeful we will put one on the ground. We haven't been able to prepare as much as I'd like to, but that won't stop us from trying!

Comment

I worked at a co-op for while and spent my fair share of time around tires. P metric tires were in a lot more than LT's because nails popped right through P's way easier. LT can get spendy and I put on a lot of Iron Man tires. They are junk and if you ever plan on doing highway driving, they won't last. General Grabber's are an honest to god great tire. not many people bought them because they weren't cheap as dirt but I never had one blow out and fixed very little tire repairs on them. Grabbers are my vote. I love them on my vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by conibearguy View Post
                        I worked at a co-op for while and spent my fair share of time around tires. P metric tires were in a lot more than LT's because nails popped right through P's way easier. LT can get spendy and I put on a lot of Iron Man tires. They are junk and if you ever plan on doing highway driving, they won't last. General Grabber's are an honest to god great tire. not many people bought them because they weren't cheap as dirt but I never had one blow out and fixed very little tire repairs on them. Grabbers are my vote. I love them on my vehicles.
                        We had a set of General tires on a car several years back and loved them. Will keep those in mind for the future.

Comment

That answered my question on Ironman tires.
                          They have cometh

Comment

General Grabbers! I am in the construction field and have owned sets continually for 5 years now, the only time they weren't on is when my new truck had on factories, and that was the only time I had problems with nails. Grabbers are SOLID! Also ran Geolander's previous, good tire, but seemed to wear funny for me, but for that price, great deal!

Comment

• conibearguy
                              conibearguy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grabbers are where it is at!

Never understood why Goodyear Wrangler SRAs came stock on many trucks. Those were the absolute worst tire I ever owned. Dry, wet, snow, mud, they were terrible and wore quickly. I just put a set of Cooper AT3 4s on my sierra, so far I like them. They did very well in our little snow storm the other day.
                            They are rated for 65,000 miles will see if I actually get that many out of them though.
                            Price was not too bad for 20" tires, I thought.
                            Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X