Petrified Bone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures Petrified Bone

I found this really cool piece of petrified bone yesterday while tanking on the Middle Loup, was wondering if anyone else has found anything cool like this while out and about? I also found 2 petrified bison bones (not near as old as this one, but they were definitely rock hard and definitely femurs) but my wife wouldn't let me take them back to the truck (real bummer, they were super cool). Anyways, this one that I found is pretty small and probably weighs around a half pound. Is there any way to ID it and how old it is? Anyone have a good website to browse with that sorts of info?
    A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

Comment

University of Nebraska State Museum

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

That is pretty cool! I have found a few hundred pounds worth of petrified wood along and near the South Platte River in Deuel County and Segwick County Colorado. I have several larger pieces I've found but nothing huge. Mostly brown and black pieces, but a fair amount of white ones, and even a few red and blue pieces. I have been collecting since 2012 and the only things out of the ordinary I've found are a prehistoric camel and horse tooth. It is fun finding the wood, but now I have a large pile in my flower bed in the front of my house. I wouldn't mind selling it if an opportunity came along.

Comment

Originally posted by nebgoosehunter View Post
          That is pretty cool! I have found a few hundred pounds worth of petrified wood along and near the South Platte River in Deuel County and Segwick County Colorado. I have several larger pieces I've found but nothing huge. Mostly brown and black pieces, but a fair amount of white ones, and even a few red and blue pieces. I have been collecting since 2012 and the only things out of the ordinary I've found are a prehistoric camel and horse tooth. It is fun finding the wood, but now I have a large pile in my flower bed in the front of my house. I wouldn't mind selling it if an opportunity came along.
          It ended up being a prehistoric horses canon bone end. Roughly 10 million years old!

Comment

• whitetips
            whitetips commented
            Editing a comment
            Just curious, who gave you the I.D.?

Daryl B.

That's very cool. I have never found bones but have found a gob of petrified wood. I stunbled on a location in the Snowy Range mountains where there was an area roughly 1/2 acre in size full of it. Some pieces were very large. It is a hike from any road so I never brought any of it out.

Comment

Daryl, Shane Tucker with UNL gave me the ID

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              Very cool!

Daryl B.

That’s awesome!

Comment

Working...
            X