How Many Counties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Many Counties?

We had a family reunion in southeast South Dakota this past weekend and I came back to Sidney a new way through some beautiful country in the eastern Sandhills. It got me thinking how many counties have I been to in Nebraska. I am up to 65 counties out of 93 or about 70% of them. I have a few gaps to fill in primarily along the Kansas border and up in the northeast part and a few random ones. It would be fun to do a little camping trip around the state sometime just filling in the counties I've missed. So how many counties have you guys been to across our beautiful state?

I've been to 73. I've never done that before, certainly interesting!
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

I've been to all except: Arthur, McPherson, Logan, Banner and Stanton.

Comment

• GBR
        GBR commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked Stanton off the list last weekend. Only 4 more to go!

I did a similar exercise once, realized I'd hit them all. Between various fishing and hunting trips, along with a couple jobs that required extensive driving, I've been through all of them. Not saying I stopped in all counties but have been through them.

Another fun Q might be: how many have you lived in? 6 for me...almost 7 but took a different job and ended up in CO and WY instead.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post

Another fun Q might be: how many have you lived in? 6 for me...almost 7 but took a different job and ended up in CO and WY instead.
          Only four for me. Box Butte, Douglas, Dawes, and Cheyenne.

Comment

Very interesting thread. I will add up all my counties tomorrow on my ride to Minnesota. Don’t think I’ll come close to your new number tho. Kudos

Comment

I did the exact same thing when I worked at the state. They gave us a card with all the counties on it to keep in the trucks. I filled them in as we went, sometimes drove a few extra miles to cross one off. I made it to all of them twice in 4 years. Started a 3rd one but moved. We put a lot of miles on the trucks doing traffic studies.

We also did the license plate thing. Started at 1 and worked our way up, each had to be found in order. After that we went to states, didn't complete it and forgot what state I was on.

My wife and I took a week to do the Nebraska Great Park Pursuit, that will cross a lot of counties off and maybe you'll win something. May as well stop at them while you are driving around, see some new sights.

Comment

Are these been there/done things maps, or just a list of ones you've driven through?
                " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

• AJ
                  AJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Driven through

• nebgoosehunter
                  nebgoosehunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, I just count driven through.

Without looking at the map, name the three Nebraska counties named after animals:
                -----------------------------------------
                -My computer, my time, my opinions

Comment

• rbhunter
                  rbhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll take the easy one Antelope, you've got me stumped after that!!??

• Scott Eveland
                  Scott Eveland commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Buffalo

Garfield :D

Originally posted by Scott Eveland View Post
                Without looking at the map, name the three Nebraska counties named after animals:
                Does Garfield count?

Comment

Originally posted by Enginesen View Post

Does Garfield count?
                  You know it! #dadhumor
                  -----------------------------------------
                  -My computer, my time, my opinions

Comment

Arthur, Perkins, Chase, Dundy, Hayes, Hitchcock, Thayer, Richardson are the only ones I'm pretty sure I've never been in... That was cool to look at!

Comment

Working...
                    X