Is your shoulder repaired?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Is your shoulder repaired?

Ten years ago I had a rotator cuff repair on my right shoulder. All is well with that. Three years ago I wrenched my left shoulder (protecting my right of coarse), should have done something then ... but didn't then, have now. My question lies in the proposed repair. Has anyone had the "reverse repair" as the doc called it? Sounds like they leave the socket on top, change the ball on your arm bone to a socket and place a ball in-between. Sounds simple but I know it's a more invasive surgery.

Wondering if you have had this or know someone close who has had this procedure? How did it work out for you/them? Anyhow thanks for the input, if anyone sees this way down here.

Charlie
    If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. quote. 'Yogi Berra'

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. 'Winston Churchill'

Went to another doc for second opinion. His idea was to do normal repairs. This seemed more reasonable approach. Repaired last Tuesday. Be ready for Canada trip.
    If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. quote. 'Yogi Berra'

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. 'Winston Churchill'

Comment

Week 4 on my rotator cuff repair . Feeling great . Glad I got it done .
      Your reverse repair is usally done if there is joint damage correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by rjd View Post
        Your reverse repair is usally done if there is joint damage correct ?
        I'm certainly happy I had the first one (R) done, pain free and able to fish n hunt (work too) 10 years. I'm only 9 days into second (L) repair and it's pain free compared to pre-surgery. I've got some pain from surgery and will have some from therapy, normal stuff.

As far as the reverse, the reasoning for it: I can't tell you with any certainty. I think it's to be used when "normal repairs" won't work. And once you have the reverse you can't go back and it's only "good" for 15 years +/- (what the first Doc told me). I'm planning on fishing & hunting with many other projects also for well over 15 years. My second opinion Doc said we can always do the reversal, but he was sure it wasn't needed.

Charlie

Comment

What do you do when you get a 2nd opinion and its a 180 from the first Doc? Should you go for a 3rd and pick the route two Docs agreed on?

Its a serious question. I've never had surgery or anything invasive enough that I felt a 2nd opinion was needed. I'm sure I will eventually.
          GoodApp

Comment

Going in for surgery next Thursday on my left shoulder...my dominant side. I know it needs to be done, but I am not looking forward to the rehab. Hopefully, I will be ready for firearms deer season. Pretty sure I am going to miss out on archery deer season. I was also told no fishing.
            Last edited by NEBucks; 04-05-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I had my shoulder repaired back in 2008. I had just about everything done to it besides rotator cuff. Those muscles were good, but my labrum was torn in several places, biceps tendon was frayed, capsule was stretched out. I don't have the strength in that area I used to, but overall it was completely worth having the surgery.

Rehab sucks. 8 weeks in a sling, 6 months not being able lift more than one pound. It was about a year until I could lift more than 5 pounds.

If you follow the rehab protocol and what the doctors say, life should be better after surgery. I'd do it again if the issue arose again.
              Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishingnerd33 View Post
                If you follow the rehab protocol and what the doctors say, life should be better after surgery. I'd do it again if the issue arose again.
                Absolutely, follow instructions. I'm four weeks post surgery, none of the pain/ache I've lived with the past few years. Rehab is good if you can surrender your self to the manipulation; you fight it or stay tense IT WILL HURTTTTT. Do your home exercise, all should be well ... it is for me. One of the simple exercises I do does cause me to slow down, it pinches some.
                Yes, a year for complete return of function, some time longer for strength increase.

Comment

Originally posted by JKL View Post
                  What do you do when you get a 2nd opinion and its a 180 from the first Doc? Should you go for a 3rd and pick the route two Docs agreed on?

Its a serious question. I've never had surgery or anything invasive enough that I felt a 2nd opinion was needed. I'm sure I will eventually.
                  I felt the second opinion was more in line with a measured approach to the solution. In other words, do the normal repair it should work well. If more is needed down the road, look into the other approach again. In my mind the two opinions gave me a choice of two paths, I chose the least invasive one.

Charlie

Comment

Working...
                  X